Command Prompt / Console / Bash on Ubuntu on Windows

Shrouded in the mists of time, the Windows Console was created. For millenia, geeks and developers wrought their command-line tools but after a while, a great lacking was noticed. And so, legions of ever intrepid command-line mavens migrated to other shells and consoles, ’til but a stalwart few remained.

In Windows 10, with a deep rumbling, the ancient, weary, Windows Console heaved a great sigh and began to tremble. New features appeared, but slow was the (aparrent) progress.

But then, in early 2016, from under a rock evolved a group of new console dev’s. And then a PM. The journey to modernity had begun … again! WE’RE BACK! AGAIN!

Please post your asks, ideas, wants and needs below: We ARE listening, and we ARE grateful for your feedback!

@RichTurn_ms, Paul, Mike1 & Mike2.

$ | >

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bash/WSL  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Terminal emulator

Make a better terminal emulator.

Have any of the WSL/Bash devs ever used iTerm/2 on Mac? It's an unbelievably good terminal. Right now, as good as Bash itself is on Windows, the actual terminal is just plain garbage. I've tried ConEmu and all the other usual suspects, but they're still just bad.

Please, please make the CLI experience better by making a very good, first party, tabbed terminal emulator with modern features. It must "feel" good. Current offering feel like Command Prompt with duck tape around it.

108 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Bash/WSL  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add libusb support to WSL

Since previous one(https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/266908-command-prompt-console-bash-on-ubuntu-on-windo/suggestions/16759696-add-usb-device-support) was marked "complete", this one more clearly states support for libusb as in any usb device raw, rather than just storage mounting and serial pass-through.
        My example need is Yubikey gpg-card.

10 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bash/WSL  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Run services when Windows starts?

In Bash, I can set services to boot on startup with something like this:

sudo systemctl enable application.service

However, it would be really handy if certain Bash services started when Windows started. (especially for web servers, database engines etc.)

I know the way Windows and Linux does services is quite different but as an example, it would be great if I could start Windows and know that my local MongoDB server is all fired up and ready to go.

Would love to know other peoples thoughts on this and if it's at all feasible?

Thanks, Anthony
          Twitter: @anthonycook

113 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bash/WSL  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Support ctrl+c signals for windows applications launched from WSL/bash

In short: Make ctrl+c interrupt / kill windows applications launched from WSL.

In long: At the moment windows executables launched from bash / WSL do not terminate when I ctrl+c the process. For example I might launch a compilation step which uses a windows .exe, and then decide to cancel it and modify something first. After ctrl+C the bash terminal thinks the process is stopped and lets me begin typing new commands, but the compilation keeps running and spills output into the terminal. Any file locks etc. will also be held which might block further commands I want to execute.…

26 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Raw Disk access and filesystem mounting

I would love to have the ability to access raw partitions on my hard drive (provided that WSL is stable and will not obliterate my data) and also have the ability to mount filesystems not natively supported under Windows such as ext4, and btrfs among others. Specifically, I want to be able to mount partitions on my hard drive that I have windows installed on.

35 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Support AF_PACKET address family (tcpdump/wireshark...)

From https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/1628

It would be great to get support for AF_PACKET, as some networking tools or software rely on that.

Samples of tool that won't work without it:
                - tcpdump (socket: Invalid argument)
                - wireshark
                - some nmap functions
                - Scapy

558 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

80 comments  ·  Bash/WSL  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • 86 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• DrvFS support for "Shared Folders" in Virtual Machines

DrvFS is unable to access the "shared folders" of a host machine when running inside a VM like VMware.

We often use VMs for testing and shared folders are a great way to move data between the host and different VMs.

For details see https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/1959 and https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/1954

33 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bash/WSL  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Support for IDEA exposure for the Linux dev tools like git and mvn, make etc

While the WSL is a great tool and is powerfull, there is a realy big gap were having now. I need to redudntly install stuff if I use an IDEA (like intellij or eclipse). To expose git to these tools. I can try to be creative with bat scripts to expose some of the bash native git. But then there is achance to get a "Cannot launch bash because another instance is running un-elevated. Elevated and un-elevated instances are not permitted to run simultaneously." response (and break your bat script).

What I would love to see a way to be…

4 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Can I explicitly start/stop a Linux subsystem?

Hello, I'm a WSL user, sometimes I just start a bash window and bring up services such as MySQL or nginx on that window, but when I close the bash window, the background process(nginx or MySQL services) are gone, I think It's because the bash window is closed.
                        So Is there a way to let the background process running while all Bash windows are closed? Or can this be added as a new feature in the future? Thanks.

5 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow to set file permissions on NTFS partitions from WSL

Allow commands like chmod to set file permissions on NTFS partitions. Currently WSL supports a limited one way permission mapping from Windows ACL's to POSIX permissions but it needs to be 2-way. Many basic tasks like using ssh keys or working with git repos require being able to set file permissions. It doesn't even matter that much to which exactly windows ACL certain permissions map as long as they are consistent (e.g. setting perms with chmod and then getting them with stat should result in exact same perms).

This is a followup to this closed issue: https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/266908-command-prompt-console-bash-on-ubuntu-on-windo/suggestions/13309479-emulate-posix-compliant-filesystem-permissions

9 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Run WSL binaries in Windows without 'bash.exe -c'

It would be nice for Windows to be able to run binaries in WSL without needing to prefix 'bash.exe -c'. The main reason for this would be editor integration. For example, VS Code language extensions require the binary for the language to be in your PATH and often do not work without it. It seems like a waste to install the language in both Windows and WSL just to get editor integration.

Obviously, executables from Windows will still have a higher priority. Only when the executable cannot be found in the Windows PATH should it now attempt to run the…

47 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Support *BSD operating systems.

One of the benefits of WSL is that many server environments are Linux systems and the developer can validate many changes locally before deployment.

Similarly, various *BSD variants (Free-, Open-, etc.) are also frequently used on servers and developers could benefit immensely from having similar functionality.

This will likely be a larger item than allowing multiple Linux distributions on WSL due to the differences in system call structure.

3 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow to customize colors for a terminal

With the new 24-bit color options, it would be great to actually be able to use some of the new colors.

It's already well known that you can change colors in the registry to change the colors of the console.
                                According to this article, you can also change colors on a single shortcut (.lnk) https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20130527-00/?p=4253

Now it would be great to have a UI for changing colors.
                                The current UI only allows changes to Screen Text, Screen Background, Popup Text and Popup Background.
                                http://imgur.com/StT8gDZ

I would like to define the 16 original colors as another variant of those colors. For…

28 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Console/Terminal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

A few notes here:

1) The colors one can configure in the properties of a command-line app / shortcut are the default 16 colors that traditional Windows apps can request via the Console API, or which get displayed by the simplest VT sequences that specify a color index, rather than color values.
                                  2) We do not aim to modify the Windows Console API’s to enable richer color support. Instead, we recommend command-line app developers to emit VT sequences instead. This way they can request any and all of the 16M colors available when specifying a 24-bit RGB color values.
                                  3) We DO aim, to overhaul and improve the way that Console properties work, and have recently released an open-source tool to help you import entire iterm and other color schemes: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/08/11/introducing-the-windows-console-colortool/

• Make core dump files available in WSL

When a process crashes on WSL it does not generate a core dump, even if the necessary configuration is in place.

This is critical for debugging complex issues during development.

Referencing this issue: https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/1262

9 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make the Windows FS mounts under WSL have reasonable user and group

Right now the WSL suffers pretty severely from /mnt/c/ and others having all the files owned by root:root and permissions set to 777.

A *LOT* of tools will refuse to work with files with those permissions, files owned by root, or under the root account for security reasons. Some quick examples for developers: git and hg (Mercurial)

13 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add USB /dev/ttyACM support

I need /dev/ttyACM support to connect gdb to a black magic probe debugger to program embedded ARM microcontrollers.

24 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Assign groun `tty` to all /dev/ttyS* with read/write perssions

At the moment, a user is required to run an elevated command to access any of the new /dev/ttySx serial devices, or they are required to assign a group (or user) access to the serial device.
                                        Any assigned permissions on /dev/ttySx will be reset to root:root with owner rw only when the bash.exe is closed and re-opened. Which can be come frustrating with automated scripts

I propose that WSL will assign the group `tty` (or `dialout`) to the serial devices. So that a user may add themselves to the group once and consistently have access to the serial devices without…

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• OpenCL & CUDA GPU support

It would be nice to have (relatively) easy access to the dedicated GPU's on our Win10 PC's, and OpenCL support for the AMD Drivers & CUDA for NVidia drivers etc.

What I am thinking on specifically (although there are many many uses for it and CUDA support) is hashing functions that are lackluster within windows itself, but benefit immensely within Linux and Unix.

Cryptocurrency mining for example, is known to be much faster on Linux systems than Windows. Do you see any support for OpenCL and/or CUDA in the future?

2,016 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

186 comments  ·  Bash/WSL  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It’s on the backlog, but not currently planned.

We know many of you would like to be able to accelerate your numerical analysis code via CUDA/OpenCL, etc.

One thing to explore in the meantime is to try running your code in Windows. Windows actually has very powerful GPU-acceleration capabilities and you may well find that much of your existing code may well work already or require trivial effort to port to Windows itself.

in the meantime, bear with us, and UPVOTE THIS ISSUE if you care (please don’t create another duplicate ask – that doesn’t help us prioritize asks).

Thanks.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 24 25
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Command Prompt / Console / Bash on Ubuntu on Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base