$ | >

Docker

its fantastic, I cant wait for put my hands on! Question, docker? works well?

455 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Marcius Oliveira shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

49 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alan O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need dockerd to run on WSL. Please help.. WSL came this far to being an almost complete solution and now I am blocked by this.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want Docker Engine support so badly. Native support for the Docker Engine would actually be a huge advantage over Apple because, when run in a VM, Docker programs are really slow. Right now Docker provides a sort of "holy grail" because it can be used to perfectly emulate a production environment on each developer's machine, without a lot of work - except it's really slow! I think most of the people in my office would switch to Windows if we could speedup Docker using the WSL!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is no winder that developers have and are still flocking to Mac - the Windows PC is dying a slow death because it refuses to keep pace. Where I work, 99% of the 500 developers use Mac!

• bangclash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For WSL/Bash to be a complete developer solution dock needs to to work under WSL/Bash. Otherwise I need to continue to use macOS or Linux as my main development platform. Not everyone has windows 10 professional. WSL/Bash is good but without docker it's a incomplete solution for me.

• Ryan Erwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would very much prefer to have the Docker engine working directly in WSL... Much easier to one time to `apt install docker` and just have it work...

• Elvin Fortes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm very annoyed at the moment. With the people I work with i'm the only developer that uses window for development. Using ubuntu on window is a very cool idea and every machine update I try to run my apps on windows. Every time there is something and makes me wonder why i did not switch OS yet :(

One very important tool to have while developing is docker. Without tools like this windows bash has no use for many developers. Please please please fix this.

Error i get after installing docker: `Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at unix:///var/run/docker.sock. Is the docker daemon running?`

Keep up the good work Sorry for my frustration.

• Nicholas Maietta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After months of trying to get a working version of Docker on Windows i finally realized I needed Windows 10 Pro to enable virtualization. Finally, with that I was able to install and run Docker for Windows. However, after that i realized that I couldn't find a good way to mount local folders to my containers, so I removed Docker for Windows and setup WSL environment. Once that was up and running now I find out I cannot run under WSL. What the heck.

Docker should NEVER talk about how "deploy locally, deploy anywhere". The truth is there are changes that need to be made for deploying something from local to production.

The main issue I have with Docker for Windows is the most recent updates killed itself because of limits on RAM on my machine. I've got 4gb and no way to upgrade being a Macbook Air. Windows 10 is running under Bootcamp and runs just fine. Restarting the mac from OS X "bootcamp" choosing the target of Windows menu allows the virtualization to be remain enabled through restart, which was required to get Docker for Windows working on a mac.

I cannot justify buying another machine just to build containers locally. This situation needs to be resolved if at all possible. It's like Docker team blatantly ignores local dev environments and is forcing people to set up dedicated workstations. Last I checked there were millions of Mac's and millions of Windows users.

• Michel Buczynski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't really need a Docker client in WSL I can call docker.exe anyway from WSL. Anyway we have docker client on FreeBSD, MacOS, Windows. But is great that works at least...

What would be great is really a dockerd with maybe a plugins so we access directely the Docker filesystem and also a plugins for Windows Firewall. That I think permit by example a Windows guest VM that run Windows and Linux Container on a VmWare farm or AWS...

• Ravi Patel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I assume that windows docker containers are native. I was thinking that it might make sense to be able to be able to run WSL inside a native windows container. I think that this would be the fastest path docker without a VM. Just an idea though. I honestly haven't played around with native windows containers.

• rustyx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Of course, WSL by itself is a container. I wonder if this can be "turned around" to have the official Docker on Windows use WSL instead of Hyper-V when available. In any case that's a huge deal given the explosive popularity of Docker...

• Ehsan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

dockerd (daemon) under WSL would be amazing. BTW, it could be a port of dockerd that can mimick namespaces and cgroups (or just ignore them for now!) as long as it runs that would be a good start.

Yes I know I can already use docker client and run "Docker for Windows" but it is virtualized.

• Andrés commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for "Docker on Bash on Ubuntu on Windows", if I use docker with hyper-V I cannot use Virtual Box (for another thing) at the same time.

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why oh why can't we vote for docker? I get that it may be difficult BUT surely seeing how much interest there is for it is useful

• IL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Support for docker or other lightweight linux containers will be appreciated.

• Aaron Marks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd vote for this if I could. Docker 1.12 (released 7/28/2016) can now install and run the Docker client within WSL, but we still can't run the server portion. It would be a game changer if WSL could run Docker.

• Yann Armand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even with the latest beta of docker "native" for windows, the Linux kernel run inside an hyper-V VM. All container shared a limited memory space (2Gb by default), exactly the same way as on OsX.

Only the support of docker-engine on WSL will give us the full power of containers:
        - small processes
        - memory consumption relative to the process, not to a enclosing VM
        - no network translation layer
        - light FS translation layer

This would place windows in a better position than osX to develop using linux containers.

Feedback and Knowledge Base