$ | >

Add support for semaphores and shared memory

Many linux programs need support for semaphores and shared memory.

For example:
- java virtual machine jdk
- mono
- node js
etc.

All of them are needed for web development.

197 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

PatrykPatryk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Aart Janse van den BoschAart Janse van den Bosch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Almost had a linux kernel built using buildroot but failed at the very last step because of no support for SYSV IPC needed by fakeroot/faked (not sure if that can be overcome).
        WSL is meant for development and that is a good idea if it would simply work all the way.
        I know I can use a Virtual Linux (relatively very slow), a dual boot system (having to reboot every time when you have to switch between building windows targets and building linux targets) or a separate linux computer (for the ones with money to spare).
        So yes, add support for SYSV IPC please.

• Jonathan HerrJonathan Herr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I im using a ruby on rails app that requires Postgres. I can get it to install but there is no System V shared memory support and the shmget() call fails. Not having to use the windows port of this software would be beneficial.

• Sam HabielSam Habiel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am trying to get fis-gtm running (which is a database), and it's a blocker here as well.

Feedback and Knowledge Base