$ | >

Support for filesystem watchers like inotify

Currently there is no support for filesystem watchers like inotify.
Because of this tools like bitbake don't work.

933 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

PatrykPatryk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

53 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Roman SemenovRoman Semenov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@admin thanks for this awesome work. WSL is one of the most exciting windows features for many developers.

• Rick CuddyRick Cuddy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tools other than ruby on rails are impacted by this. NodeJS Webpack, Typescript watch, etc.
        Please please fix soon. BoW was the best news of the year and it's -almost- usable.

• John SloanJohn Sloan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The suggested workaround will allow you to run the rails server, but it doesn't actually help beyond that. If you try to run your test suite, you'll see the Spring blows up still. I'm glad to see this is on the backlog, and I'd love to hear an update on progress.

• Samuel GajdošSamuel Gajdoš commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh come on. I spent whole night and half of the day, sleeping only 3 hours just to update windows/ get bash/ set up everything just to stumble upon this problem at very last step.
        Please fix this asap, I was so excited for this, and this was huge letdown.

• Carlos GonzalesCarlos Gonzales commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Web dev here. Been waiting for Windows bash for months and I stumble upon this issue. Talk about let-downs.

Please implement!

• Alexander SungAlexander Sung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+3

Please implement this ASAP. I just spent an entire day setting up my dev environment for Windows bash and now I'm blocked by this.

• Alexander DiachenkoAlexander Diachenko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can't do web dev nowadays without this stuff. This and inability to communicate with windows processes inside Bash basically means that developers will still use Cygwin/MinGW in the foreseeable future. Looks like you got us excited for nothing.

• Alan OsmanAlan Osman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just spent a day trying to get our mongo/nodejs/js/react stack working on WindowsBash. I fell into a hole of problems once I got to running mongo and gulp. We need gulp to watch the file system and rebuild sass/jade files as we work on them. Gulp is a major part of our development kit so it needs to work. These tools all work on a mac/linux system and that is the bar we need to meet to make a successful leap to using WindowsBash.

A fantastic job though guys. I am really excited to see this really be used and stop using the emulators and half baked linux commands.

• keithkeith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

webpack & nodemon - cannot use for my development cycle until this is delivered

Feedback and Knowledge Base