$ | >

OpenCL & CUDA GPU support

It would be nice to have (relatively) easy access to the dedicated GPU's on our Win10 PC's, and OpenCL support for the AMD Drivers & CUDA for NVidia drivers etc.

What I am thinking on specifically (although there are many many uses for it and CUDA support) is hashing functions that are lackluster within windows itself, but benefit immensely within Linux and Unix.

Cryptocurrency mining for example, is known to be much faster on Linux systems than Windows. Do you see any support for OpenCL and/or CUDA in the future?

2,180 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Zachary Bolt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It’s on the backlog, but not currently planned.

We know many of you would like to be able to accelerate your numerical analysis code via CUDA/OpenCL, etc.

One thing to explore in the meantime is to try running your code in Windows. Windows actually has very powerful GPU-acceleration capabilities and you may well find that much of your existing code may well work already or require trivial effort to port to Windows itself.

in the meantime, bear with us, and UPVOTE THIS ISSUE if you care (please don’t create another duplicate ask – that doesn’t help us prioritize asks).

Thanks.

197 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Pier Lim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be a killler feature - I can see more windows laptops sold if this is a reality, especially for developers.

• Aaron Styles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm just diving into the world of ML, but have and AMD gpu. Community support for OpenCL is lacking, but there are some solutions out there that help, getting them to work on Windows is crazy hard.

• Bill Gates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on, It's been a whole year, and this is still on the Back log... We need CUDA in our research and we don't want to bother physically installing Linux on every machines and frequently switch between operating systems.

• Vignesh S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, 2017 and beyond is the Era of Deep learning and Machine Learning, the Augumented Era. Not everyone are expert programmers and write from scratch using CUDA library. We use other high level open source libraries like Pytorch, Tensorflow, Keras, etc. So we need to be able to access the GPU. When this was announced "Bash on Windows" the very first thing that came to my mind was the amazing endless possibilities. But now it's just shattered and this has proven to be no good use. I still cant believe it's on a Backlog. At least start to work on it. If its going to come late its OK, but this has to come.

• Bruce Black commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys I think this might inherently be an impossible thing to do, not that they don't want to do it. They know everyone is doing DL these days. And being able to do it on Windows WSL just kills the reason for the Linus system. It might also mean more adoption from data center business for microsoft. Maybe this will never happen just because it is not possible

• Bruce Black commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm thinking you guys must know what everyone is doing these days...... For the love of ***, please enable torch, tensorflow, CUDA, etc, etc, locally on Windows!

• Francisco Fernandes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok, after Windows 10 Fall Creators, and not very much news on the Bash front, I will switch back to Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 16.04. All the hassles that come with Windows 10 and its 500 useless pre-installed apps is not worth the waiting. If I need GPU I will use Linux instead.

• tts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finally RS3 came and... still we cannot use NVIDIA drivers on WSL.
        Is there any progress?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How could something as important as being able to access the full computation power of our existing hardware be put on backlog?

You guys really need to make GPU's work on Ubuntu - or not have/support Ubuntu at all...

If you can't make it work - I am considering porting my Windows 10 machine to a legit Linux install.

• Zanathos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

can we have some information about the state of this idea?? it would be very useful to use cuda device via WSL. thank you a lot

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The advantage of using WSL for machine learning is somewhat easier using path names on linux with certain platforms.

• Rik Schaaf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want this to be available because ROCm HIP is not supported for windows yet, therefore it would be nice to be used from the subsystem.

• Kartik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Specifically, i'd like to use an Nvidia Titan Xp to run convolutional neural nets - on WSL.

I would very much like to switch from Ubuntu to Windows, but I can't until this is supported.

Hopefully, this can be prioritized, because I'm sure a large percentage of the growing Deep Learning community would be strongly incentivized to switch to Windows, if this is supported.

Thanks!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base