$ | >

OpenCL & CUDA GPU support

It would be nice to have (relatively) easy access to the dedicated GPU's on our Win10 PC's, and OpenCL support for the AMD Drivers & CUDA for NVidia drivers etc.

What I am thinking on specifically (although there are many many uses for it and CUDA support) is hashing functions that are lackluster within windows itself, but benefit immensely within Linux and Unix.

Cryptocurrency mining for example, is known to be much faster on Linux systems than Windows. Do you see any support for OpenCL and/or CUDA in the future?

4,163 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Zachary Bolt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

447 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • SlayerChen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I asked for update on https://github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues/3789 and they silenced it. I think the WSL team is doing great job addressing the huge number of incoming issues every day. But this might be too complicated for them to address so my guess is that we might not see any GPU support on WSL coming in the near future. I do hope I am wrong though.

• Zeeshan Ali Sayyed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This SHOULD NOT BE on the backlog. This should be implemented as soon as possible. This looks like it is the most requested feature of all. Every time I think of not installing Linux on a new machine I get, I come and check this and go install Linux anyway.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rather a reason why Microsoft always looses its users as they never deliver on the most wanted thing and when competitors release the most wanted feature, they release a broken fix for the feature and then they start working on it. A classic Microsoft move which has them loose on so much market absolutely ridiculous and a clear move to miss out on the market opportunity

• Alejandro Saucedo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very helpful, perhaps to explore further the discussion around open sourcing parts of this project, drivers would certainly be an area where cross collaboration with other communities would really help. There are quite a lot of community maintained and supplier-maintained drivers.

• Shawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any walkaround on this? I want my primary desktop in windows and linux as the deep learning environment.

Please let WSL support CUDA asap - we want to use Windows to do deep learning without switch to Linux/Mac

• Rakesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any progress yet? No updates for months. Waiting to hear from Microsoft and expecting a positive response

• Lan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have one Linux&Windows dual-boot system in home, and working with Surface Pro + MacBook Pro outside. If one day ever this badass feature come true, I will really throw away MBP+dual-boot PC and live only with Windows OS to make my life simple and elegant.
    It is a tough work to implement for hardware reasons and I guess maybe there are no chance to happen without the support of GPU manufacture, but will be a really deal breaker.
    In my opinion, I think WSL is the best way to fix the gap(or even overtaking) of DL research for Windows from the other platforms.

• Thomas Laurent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a Deep Learning researcher. This feature would make my life much easier when using Windows for Deep Learning.

• Tyler Renelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think WSL will get much use without this feature. And MS will wonder why WSL failed, while ignoring this 4k-vote request.

Look, PCs are making a comeback in dev for ML (Mac was the web/mobile gen). We buy a PC and immediately install Ubuntu, dual-boot or VM. If TensorFlow/PyTorch worked on Macs/AMDs, we wouldn't be here. WSL has a prime opportunity to bridge the gap that keeps many devs off Windows: UNIX. CUDA will be the cornerstone for such, given the modern zeitgeist. You've got a quick chance to win a lot users, and the votes are proof! Don't ignore

this is key feature that allow me always stay with windows. no need to install dual system..

I primarily work on deep learning and lack of this support pushes me to use Ubuntu. This is need of the hour!

• Ahmed Anis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really it is a deal breaker for most of windows/linux users and most probably will make windows the main OS for the most

← Previous 1 3 4 5 22 23

Feedback and Knowledge Base