$ | >

OpenCL & CUDA GPU support

It would be nice to have (relatively) easy access to the dedicated GPU's on our Win10 PC's, and OpenCL support for the AMD Drivers & CUDA for NVidia drivers etc.

What I am thinking on specifically (although there are many many uses for it and CUDA support) is hashing functions that are lackluster within windows itself, but benefit immensely within Linux and Unix.

Cryptocurrency mining for example, is known to be much faster on Linux systems than Windows. Do you see any support for OpenCL and/or CUDA in the future?

4,306 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Zachary Bolt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

454 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had in here a more detailed comment but for some reason it was deleted.
    1) It is based on Hyper-V based on Microsoft's blogs (you can search "WSL 2 Hyper-V").
    2) It seems that Virtualbox 6 can run with Hyper-V, so it may not longer be an issue?

• Kenneth Benson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That is something I need to know. Is it going to use Hyper-V? If it is that's going to make it rough on using some of the Python/Conda and other VM's out there that require Virtualbox. <sigh>

You'd think most of the pieces are now in place:
    1) WSL 2 is now contained in Hyper-V VM
    2) Windows (at least Server) supports Discrete Device Assignment (DDA) for GPU pass-through with Hyper-V

So perhaps some limited GPU support can now be offered (if you are willing to pass an entire discrete graphics card to WSL2)

• Saad Khan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that WSL 2 has been announced and will run a full linux kernel, will this feature be possible? I couldn't find any information about presence or absence of GPU support in WSL 2.

• Ulix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To use Tensorflow and similar deep learning framework is a pain in Windows because most libraries / examples are generated and tested only for Linux.. to have this feature should be a great solution to continue to work with Windows.. otherwise the only solution should be to switch definitively on Linux

• SlayerChen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I asked for update on https://github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues/3789 and they silenced it. I think the WSL team is doing great job addressing the huge number of incoming issues every day. But this might be too complicated for them to address so my guess is that we might not see any GPU support on WSL coming in the near future. I do hope I am wrong though.

• Zeeshan Ali Sayyed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This SHOULD NOT BE on the backlog. This should be implemented as soon as possible. This looks like it is the most requested feature of all. Every time I think of not installing Linux on a new machine I get, I come and check this and go install Linux anyway.

Rather a reason why Microsoft always looses its users as they never deliver on the most wanted thing and when competitors release the most wanted feature, they release a broken fix for the feature and then they start working on it. A classic Microsoft move which has them loose on so much market absolutely ridiculous and a clear move to miss out on the market opportunity

• Alejandro Saucedo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very helpful, perhaps to explore further the discussion around open sourcing parts of this project, drivers would certainly be an area where cross collaboration with other communities would really help. There are quite a lot of community maintained and supplier-maintained drivers.

• Shawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any walkaround on this? I want my primary desktop in windows and linux as the deep learning environment.

• Jeesus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

3 years and 4100 votes later, rather sad to see this on the backlog.

Please let WSL support CUDA asap - we want to use Windows to do deep learning without switch to Linux/Mac

• Rakesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any progress yet? No updates for months. Waiting to hear from Microsoft and expecting a positive response

← Previous 1 3 4 5 22 23

Feedback and Knowledge Base