$ | >

Make UTF-8 an option for "non-Unicode" programs (ACP)

While I personally appreciate Microsoft's recent improvements involving CP_UTF8 in UoW/conhost, I feel that the support is still far from complete.

Windows' traditional way of making console programs support Unicode characters – compiler-level settings like TCHAR & UNICODE – have been causing troubles for cross-platform libraries and their users. On the other hand, UTF-8, an ASCII-compatible MBCS with support for full Unicode ranges, has become the choice of "legacy-style" C/C++ programmers as well as front-end engineers.

MS is now extending its sphere of influence to many other fields, by introducing open-source programming components and by providing decent cross-platform app-building support. All these moves will involve touching the world of char*, a world mostly dominated by the easy [for programmers], effective solution of UTF-8. Introducing CP_UTF8 as an ACP would greatly ease integration of such applications. To pseudo-developers like me, such support means extra ease when using others' code.

11 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mingye Wang (Arthur2e5) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion.

The biggest overhaul to the Console’s innards in more than 30 years is currently underway. UTF-8 support is something that we are and will be working on in order to support a much broader set of scenarios, platforms, clients and tools.

Just one example of the level of improvements being made include all the Virtual Terminal sequence support added to the Console during Win10AU to support many *NIX tools, along with the new 24-bit color support we released in today’s Insiders build #14931.

Stay tuned for lots more improvements coming in future insiders and major releases.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminRich Turner (Sr. Program Manager, Windows Console & WSL, Windows Developer) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We hear ya. Though this item originally asked for improvements to the Console, which as per my prior response, are underway, with more improvements coming in future Windows releases.

If you'd like to also ask the Win32 API team to consider supporting UTF-8, please create another ask in the appropriate area. This way, the appropriate teams can hear and respond more specifically to your asks.

Thanks.

• Mingye Wang (Arthur2e5) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oops, Didn't realize this category was for UWP. Cross-posted it on Feedback Hub: feedback-hub:?contextid=390&feedbackid=08e10d1a-3120-4b79-81c0-1409a8293a0f&form=1&src=2

Feedback and Knowledge Base