$ | >

Add USB Device Support

This ask is specifically for adding USB Device support to WSL - i.e. exposing USB busses and devices to the OS.

This is NOT an ask for adding the ability to communicate with external USB peripherals like phones, IoT boards, etc. - those asks are elsewhere:

USB Serial communicatons:
https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/266908-command-prompt-console-bash-on-ubuntu-on-windo/suggestions/15424383-need-serial-usb-com-port-access

Mount USB storage devices:
https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/266908-command-prompt-console-bash-on-ubuntu-on-windo/suggestions/13717092-mount-usb-sd-removable-storage-devices

1,024 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Gioele CiaparroneGioele Ciaparrone shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

110 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also suggest to add a better support for UDF formatted USB. I have followed the above 20170418 blog post and it almost works. I can mount it but get some "garbage":

$ ls -lrt /mnt/e/tlrepo/
        ls: impossibile accedere a '/mnt/e/tlrepo/update-tlmgr-latest.exe': Permesso negato
        ls: impossibile accedere a '/mnt/e/tlrepo/update-tlmgr-latest.exe.sha512': Permesso negato
        ls: impossibile accedere a '/mnt/e/tlrepo/update-tlmgr-latest.exe.sha512.asc': Permesso negato
        [...]
        totale 60082
        -????????? ? ? ? ? ? update-tlmgr-latest.sh.sha512.asc
        -????????? ? ? ? ? ? update-tlmgr-latest.sh.sha512
        -????????? ? ? ? ? ? update-tlmgr-latest.sh
        [...]
        -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2185 nov 25 2016 install-tl-windows.bat
        [...]

being /mnt/e/tlrepo a clone of ftp://tug.org/texlive/tlnet. It seems that it does not like symlinks on UDF FS (the clone has been done on GNU/Linux Mint 18.2).

Ciao,
        Angelo.

• Andrey LukyanovAndrey Lukyanov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about supporting USB smart cards - PKCS11
        This feature may be very needed for IT professionals that manage both Windows and Linux computers using SSH where private keys are stored on HW tokens, like Yubikey

The following command works on Ubuntu (uses PKCS11 library from "opensc" package to talk to USB token)

~$ ssh -I /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opensc-pkcs11.so user@hostname

but on WSL it return "no slots"
        but on WSL

• Andreas BroströmAndreas Broström commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Libusb and simular application support whould be wonderful. I ran in to issues when I noticed that it can not use some apps that are dependant on libusb.

So expanded USB support whould be much lovely!

• Raymond KingRaymond King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I dont feel we need to provide examples of why we need full USB support....there are so many that it should just be obvious....but im sure it comes with its own set of security issues....

• Tom LakeTom Lake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't access DFU devices from Bash to update firmware for some USB devices. From Bash, I'd like to be able to use all the ports (usb, serial, parallel) that exist on the host.

• StuartStuart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would not mark this task as complete. I still can't run lsusb or any libusb programs from inside the Bash prompt.

• User404User404 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree that this work is complete. The request was for access to USB busses and devices, not to be able to mount a USB drive. A specific example is the ability to run pyocd through WSL instead of powershell.

• LeonelSRLeonelSR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@richturn Not quite what was asked. We ask for USB DEVICE support. Please read the original post again.

• Felix UhlFelix Uhl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@richturn: Having access to USB mass storage is a good improvement, thank you so much for including it!

But I'd argue this doesn't make this task "completed", as it's about general access to USB devices of all classes and exposure of the USB device tree.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base