$ | >

Add USB Device Support

This ask is specifically for adding USB Device support to WSL - i.e. exposing USB busses and devices to the OS.

This is NOT an ask for adding the ability to communicate with external USB peripherals like phones, IoT boards, etc. - those asks are elsewhere:

USB Serial communicatons:
https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/266908-command-prompt-console-bash-on-ubuntu-on-windo/suggestions/15424383-need-serial-usb-com-port-access

Mount USB storage devices:
https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/266908-command-prompt-console-bash-on-ubuntu-on-windo/suggestions/13717092-mount-usb-sd-removable-storage-devices

1,025 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Gioele CiaparroneGioele Ciaparrone shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

100 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tom LakeTom Lake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't access DFU devices from Bash to update firmware for some USB devices. From Bash, I'd like to be able to use all the ports (usb, serial, parallel) that exist on the host.

• StuartStuart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would not mark this task as complete. I still can't run lsusb or any libusb programs from inside the Bash prompt.

• User404User404 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree that this work is complete. The request was for access to USB busses and devices, not to be able to mount a USB drive. A specific example is the ability to run pyocd through WSL instead of powershell.

• LeonelSRLeonelSR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@richturn Not quite what was asked. We ask for USB DEVICE support. Please read the original post again.

• Felix UhlFelix Uhl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@richturn: Having access to USB mass storage is a good improvement, thank you so much for including it!

But I'd argue this doesn't make this task "completed", as it's about general access to USB devices of all classes and exposure of the USB device tree.

• Lewis PringleLewis Pringle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suggest adding support for webcams (because when I reported it as a bug people complained - and said to add it here). Honestly, I'm not sure this is important. But here is the bug report anyhow:

video4linux doesn't work
        add webcam to system and
        ls -l /sys/class/video4linux/

I have no particular preference as to which webcams are supported, but I guess Id' recommend whatever ones happen to be popular. Not pushing this - but i happen to have been testing a logitech webcam.

• Russell DempseyRussell Dempsey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't even care about accessing external USB or network drives.. I want to access my D drive which is where all my data is. For those of us that have an SSD where our OS is, and another larger drive where are apps, code, and non-OS files are.. this is a HUGE painpoint.

• VitaliiVitalii commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No USB is really a big pity. For some strange reason Microsoft does not allow USB forwarding for years in Hyper-V (I mean what is more important to provide needed feature for customers in the product or to loose customers because VMware and other hypervisors just work fine with this).

Now this one is brilliant idea and it is a dream to have one stable OS with both Windows/Linux possibilities.

Do it guys please ASAP.

• TobiTobi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! I want to access my SD Card in my Surface Pro 3 with the Ubuntu Bash.

• FreddyFreddy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Uninstalling Bash due to this.

Makes no sense that an external HDD connected trough USB is working, but a USB stick is not.

• ZachZach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please and thank you! Trying to do some IoT development with various MCUs and USB support would be most welcome.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This cannot be implemented soon enough. If I have a project so large that I must store it on an external drive, then I cannot work on it. :(

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base