$ | >

Unify Branding

Right now, the branding for this feature is kind of all over the place:

- Windows Subsystem for Linux
- Bash on Windows
- Bash on Ubuntu on Windows

I realize that WSL is probably, strictly speaking, a separate feature/team (I'm guessing), from BoUoW; and that BoW is probably the same thing as BoUoW, just shorter ... however, the fact that they are all used interchangeably in official blog posts and documentation can be quite confusing when a) searching for information, and b) when communicating about the feature to others.

I'm sure there are reasons for this, including internal team structure, and marketing with Ubuntu ... but think of the users, and please just start calling it "Bash", or "Ubuntu" on windows in all instances (including the "Add Remove Program Features" dialog), or WSL, or something; just pick one :)

142 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

joelmartinez shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Now that we’re delivering multiple distros via the Windows Store, we’re beginning the transition the branding of this feature to just WSL from “Bash [on Ubuntu] on Windows”.

In the future, instead of running “Bash on Ubuntu on Windows”, you’ll just run Ubuntu or openSUSE, or SLES, or Fedora, etc. and they’ll run on WSL.

We’re updating our docs and will start to transition our messaging over the coming few months.

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • millon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

added more
        zsh on windows
        fish on windows
        zsh on ubuntu on windows
        fish on ubuntu on windows
        zsh on arch on windows

so, LinuxOnWindows will be better or just lxss

• JJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do NOT chose WSL: it's a surf competition:
        world surf league

• Gary Sieling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree - this makes it very difficult to write and find blog posts / stackoverflow posts with issues.

Feedback and Knowledge Base