$ | >

Allow to set file permissions on NTFS partitions from WSL

Allow commands like chmod to set file permissions on NTFS partitions. Currently WSL supports a limited one way permission mapping from Windows ACL's to POSIX permissions but it needs to be 2-way. Many basic tasks like using ssh keys or working with git repos require being able to set file permissions. It doesn't even matter that much to which exactly windows ACL certain permissions map as long as they are consistent (e.g. setting perms with chmod and then getting them with stat should result in exact same perms).

This is a followup to this closed issue: https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/266908-command-prompt-console-bash-on-ubuntu-on-windo/suggestions/13309479-emulate-posix-compliant-filesystem-permissions

25 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Roman Semenov shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David Beauchesne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When WSL was first announced, I had great hopes that I would be able to replace Cygwin and use it for git/repo and compiling/linking. Unfortunately, without basic chmod capabilities, that will not happen.
        Please consider offering support for chmod in the future. Until then, WSL is of very limited value to me.

Feedback and Knowledge Base