$ | >

Add libusb support to WSL

Since previous one(https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/266908-command-prompt-console-bash-on-ubuntu-on-windo/suggestions/16759696-add-usb-device-support) was marked "complete", this one more clearly states support for libusb as in any usb device raw, rather than just storage mounting and serial pass-through.
My example need is Yubikey gpg-card.

131 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Daniel Ivanov shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mahmoud Abduljawad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was developing a python script that uses smartcards to authenticate specfic users actions, and my original plan was to keep the customer on their Windows with the support of WSL. Unfortunately I found out this is not possible as due to short support of libusb.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As so many other posts, my use case is with a YubiKey, which we use for ssh authentication. Within our organization we are split between people who run linux in a VM on Windows, and people who use Mac, both of which support OpenSSH with the YubiKey. Running Windows only to work in a VM is silly.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need "raw" usb support for usb dongles, cameras and any other usb hardware device (other than usb2serial and usb storage which are already fixed) in order to access them with linux apps!

My priority is to use SDR usb devices (limesdr, rtl-sdr, etc) with linux tools.

• Malhar Deshmukh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to use some AVR tools form bash. Which require access to USB devices. Please add libusb support to WSL.

• Mark Edwards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto - needed for ePass 2003 pkcs11 card. Would allow me to ditch a fedora VM running in VirtualBox for WSL. Until this is available, WSL will be nothing more than a curiosity for me.

• Shawn Hoover commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support a library for a device that uses a custom USB driver on Windows and libusb on Linux. WSL works great in that role for a similar library that uses TCP. With Windows as the primary development OS, installing libusb in WSL and ditching the virtual machine for Linux testing would be ideal.

• Guillaume commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also need the support of usb camera devices with WSL to get the direct Stream in some opencv program, for instance. Is there any temporary way to do?

• Rohit Sant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love to have this, since I'm trying to initiate a LIBUSB_BULK_TRANSFER with a stereo camera.

• Andrey Lukyanov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have same problem with using PKCS11 devices (smart cards) with WSL. Used for SSH connections to hosts with PIV authentication and PKCS11 tokens that are storing private keys securely.

$ ssh -I /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opensc-pkcs11.so user@hostname

no slots

Feedback and Knowledge Base