$ | >

Add support to go to developmental builds within the Linux builds

Currently we are only able to run the current stable build for say Ubuntu (16.04 LTS). After changing the config file to allow all upgrades available in developmental release after upgrading to FSU, I now am unable to perform the upgrade to 16.10 and higher. I would like to see support to have the ability to upgrade to the latest versions available so that we won't have to download the development build and place it in a VM or Docker container for testing purposes.

5 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

WSLUser shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • WSLUser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I managed to upgrade to 17.10 Artful but there are bugs with apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade that make them fail due to the bash .deb. There are several Github tickets by other users that involve this User Voice request. A *potential* workaround would be https://github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues/2618 for easier installation and less corruption of data. For the sake of the concept though, I would still maintain that better support should be defined so that workarounds aren't needed. I would also relate this request to the request for multiple versions of distros to be available in the Windows Store.

Feedback and Knowledge Base