$ | >

how to ensure the latest WSL is running after windows update ?

sorry if this is the wrong place for questions and support
i have received the 1709 windows update
afaict wsl is still running fine but has it been upgraded, too ?
how can i tell ?
should i uninstall then reinstall from the store ? would i then still be running 16.04 as i'd rather stay on tyhe LTS release ...

1 vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

baldyeti shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • baldyeti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you very much for your answer

- If I followed you correctly, re-installing would get me the same release, only relocated to the new preferred path. I am not currently interested in running several distributions. I am fine with Ubuntu LTS, and was just wondering if i would benefit from the underlying technical improvements without re-installing.

- I had found the github page you mention but failed to notice the "issues" tab. Unless anything I said above needs correction, feel free to dismiss this thread if it does not belong to "uservoice"

• WSLUser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For WSL support, you should go to here: https://github.com/Microsoft/WSL

To answer your question, as 16.04 is the LTS version, that is what MS officially supports. To see the changes made with FCU from CU for WSL specifically go to the WSL release notes: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/release-notes. Note that it is recommended to uninstall using lxrun /uninstall for the legacy instance as lxrun support is deprecated. Install from the Windows Store after uninstalling. Before posting an issue, please search the WSL github page to see if it's been addressed. The release notes list everything that's been fixed, so to see all fixes between CU and FCU, you have to look at what was fixed in the Insider builds that were in-between.

Feedback and Knowledge Base