$ | >

Windows Console should support tabbed 'pages'

Great to see some of these improvements, especially the cut/copy/paste keyboard shortcuts. However, I've been seeking for a way for the cmd window to have a tabbed interface for a while. So, for example, I can run a ping/tracert etc. in one tab, a chkdsk in another tab, and something else in a third, without having multiple windows open taking up screen real estate.

Also consider adding panes side-by-side within the console.

1,364 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

ShaunShaun shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

45 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • polzinpolzin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Workaround: Install vcxmsrv as x-Server on Windows. "sudo apt-get install terminator" and "DISPLAY=:0.0 terminator"

• Ives StoddardIves Stoddard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having worked with a lot of operating systems, I still feel iTerm2 on macOS is one of the best terminal apps ever written. ConEmu is good, but doesn't feel as polished.

I almost wish Microsoft could throw some $$ at the iTerm2 project for a Windows port (with support from a few Win devs for low-level translations). The result would be an amazing cross-platform terminal app.

iTerm (plus posix / shell support) is one of the reasons I moved away from Windows in the first place. I got tired of cygwin + sshd + putty to localhost.

• Valtteri VuorikoskiValtteri Vuorikoski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Several people have suggested ConEmu, but I'd note that ConEmu (and ConsoleZ and similar applications) work by continuously polling the console buffer. ConEmu prioritizes performance and polls the foreground window at 60fps, while ConsoleZ polls far slower but feels a bit sluggish.

This pretty much prevents laptop processors from sleeping and kills battery life on "ultrabook" type machines. While the CPU use percentage as seen in Task Manager isn't that high, enabling the context switch delta column in Process Explorer or Process Hacker shows ConEmu causing thousands of context switches per second.

Therefore, improving conhost's interface is important. Of course it would be even better to have an official method for getting conhost's content without polling to allow alternate terminal apps to work more efficiently, but I guess this might go beyond the WSL team's mandate.

• Raimundo MartinsRaimundo Martins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Besides being a duplicate of https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/266908-command-prompt-console-bash-on-ubuntu-on-windo/suggestions/18722671-tabs-in-wsl-command-line-tool what you really want is another terminal emulator. Besides ConEmu and ConsoleZ (and others), how can you work in linux with 5~10 terminals and never use screen/tmux? I think tmux even comes installed by default in WSL

• MauriMauri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree that would be nice to have default support. Talking about third party alternatives, I enjoy using ConEmu.

• An CewewqeAn Cewewqe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will try to explain how important this is:

As a developer, when I get to work I open the console and immediately open 5 tabs by default, just for start, every day, it's my ritual right after coffee - one tab is for my current workfolder, the others are for ssh-ing on two machines to constantly inspect logs and the others are to log to two different docker swarm environments. As my working day goes by, I usually reach 10 tabs on average.

Tabbing makes me highly productive, since I can switch environments with just a key combination (I have it set to change tabs with alt-tab because I am used to it from browsing).

I recently got a Windows machine, but I find myself switching to my unix laptop almost daily due to this simple feature: I just really work much more efficiently with tabs. Because (as mentioned above) I average 10 tabs daily, it would just not be feasible to instead have to open 10 windows, and waste time trying to arrange their positioning on screen or something.

I know there are 3rd party alternatives but this is a basic feature that should be supported natively by WSL.
        It's one of those features you have to use daily, to really understand how it triples your productivity. Thank you for taking the time to read through.

• Abhishek BhaskerAbhishek Bhasker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tabs to open a new session in WSL CLI. Like in one tab I have opened a file in VI so I could open log on another tab.

• Brian HirstBrian Hirst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also include the ability for commands to be entered automatically into multiple tabs. As mentioned, copy/paste with keyboard, keyboard driven tab switching, and frankly, Properties could use a little modernizing.

• Rahul ThakareRahul Thakare commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tabbed prompts support will be a highly welcome feature. This will reduce a lot of head-ache of us, the developers(in my case: web-develoer).

• Gary SielingGary Sieling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On the Mac, ITerm2 is a nice alternative to the screen / tmux, because it gives you a right click menu in the console that lets you split it vertically / horizontally.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base