$ | >

Windows Console should support tabbed 'pages'

Great to see some of these improvements, especially the cut/copy/paste keyboard shortcuts. However, I've been seeking for a way for the cmd window to have a tabbed interface for a while. So, for example, I can run a ping/tracert etc. in one tab, a chkdsk in another tab, and something else in a third, without having multiple windows open taking up screen real estate.

Also consider adding panes side-by-side within the console.

1,553 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Shaun shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

62 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • xilun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very pleased to see you are considering this! Windows will finally start to be usable :p

• Mario García commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding tabs to the console would be very, very welcome. This plus WSL would make Windows my favorite development environment again.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Highly requested feature for ages. This would be a huge visible improvement to the aging Windows Console to be on par to more modern ones from *nix OSes.

I personally use Hyper.js and its great! Fits well to Windows 10 in terms of looks and feels like I'm using more modern console. Using it with Bash just makes it more awesome that I hope the default Windows Console have.

• Florian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used mac terminal in the past and it's much better compared to the current terminal emulator.

• Kevin Sheppard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would you believe I came on here to request the exact same thing? I think if WSL offered a terminal experience as good as even the terminal on Ubuntu I'd be happy. WSL is a step in the right direction, but it needs a big improvement in the terminal/console area.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I want this, but I would rather have other features first, because making a real high quality terminal emulator will take a really long time, and if it isn't open source (I'm just assuming it wouldn't be) then I can't customize it if it's missing features I need. I use the solarized color scheme for everything, including my terminal, but if Windows made their own terminal, I would have to write yet another script to setup the solarized color scheme in yet another terminal - and I don't think I feel like doing that! For now, the gnome-terminal seems fine?

• polzin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Workaround: Install vcxmsrv as x-Server on Windows. "sudo apt-get install terminator" and "DISPLAY=:0.0 terminator"

• Ehsan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use gnome-terminal and it is also fine, but I guess this can be feature to add to CmdEr. Anything with `Ctrl+T` for new Tabs, is better than current WSL terminal anyways.

• Janne Enberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mac users really overstate how good iTerm is. It regularly breaks under a bit more complicated, but still standard-compliant uses, where e.g. gnome-terminal and PuTTY work perfectly fine.

If you set up something as a default, use gnome-terminal. Btw you already can use that if you set up Xming for an X server on Windows and just "apt-get install gnome-terminal".

• Ives Stoddard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed on iTerm. It's one of the reasons I moved completely to a mac for dev. So much more than just multi-tab (like tabs in panes, regex highlighting, multiplexing keystrokes across multiple terminals, etc.).

I like the idea of an OpenSource UI desktop, but I just don't want the slowness or security issues of xwindows (nor the management/upgrade headaches).

Wish Microsoft could throw some $$ at the iTerm project for a port to Windows (plus a few win devs to help with low-level translations). The result would be a cross-platform iTerm. <3

• M Cook commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can start sshd pretty easily, then use PuTTY or any Windows-based terminal emulator you want as long as it speaks ssh, or connect from your Mac terminal. Telnet might work too.

Windows is still stuck with a "console" that is trying to emulate an old DOS machine, rather than graduating to a standards-based terminal emulation.

• Erkin Alp Güney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is going to prove hard. Because Windows terminal API is completely different. It is matrix discipline API with no overstriking provision. Unix has a line discipline API.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base