Command Prompt / Console / Windows Subsystem for Linux

Shrouded in the mists of time, the Windows Console was created. For millenia, geeks and developers wrought their command-line tools but after a while, a great lacking was noticed. And so, legions of ever intrepid command-line mavens migrated to other shells and consoles, ’til but a stalwart few remained.

In Windows 10, with a deep rumbling, the ancient, weary, Windows Console heaved a great sigh and began to tremble. New features appeared, but slow was the (aparrent) progress.

But then, in early 2016, from under a rock evolved a group of new console dev’s. And then a PM. The journey to modernity had begun … again! WE’RE BACK! AGAIN!

Please post your asks, ideas, wants and needs below: We ARE listening, and we ARE grateful for your feedback!

@RichTurn_ms, Paul, Mike1 & Mike2.

$ | >

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. how to ensure the latest WSL is running after windows update ?

sorry if this is the wrong place for questions and support
    i have received the 1709 windows update
    afaict wsl is still running fine but has it been upgraded, too ?
    how can i tell ?
    should i uninstall then reinstall from the store ? would i then still be running 16.04 as i'd rather stay on the LTS release ...

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • i love it..

This is a script which modifies .profile to add Windows/System32... then itll turn all .exe programs in system32 into aliases... such as ipconfig = ipconfig.exe... It has 0 error checking.. im sure someone could package it up nicely ;)
      #!/bin/bash
      #This will turn every executable inside of system32 into a bash alias so that it can be
      #executed easily.. such as ipconfig, tasklist, taskkill, etc
      #there is no error checking.. its pretty basic/simple
      #modifies ~/.profile for long term installation
      #remove bottom 2 lines to delete

echo scanning windows 32 and creating aliases...
      cd /mnt/c/Windows/System32
      ls *.exe > ~/.windows.exe
      for i…

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Replace the titlebar colour into black. White titlebar is distracting to CLI contents.

The current white titlebar (when not using the optional theme color) is really distracting and just looks out-of-place on CLI.

I suggest that the console window should be like this: https://imgur.com/a/UQZS9

This is Hyper, a 3rd-party terminal app. An example of modern looking CLI that I think Windows deserve to have out-of-the-box. It is clean and way more focused to the CLI itself rather than the GUI chrome.

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Console/Terminal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Windows Firewall should support Pico/WSL

Frustratingly the Windows Firewall itself does not support WSL even in the creators update.,

59 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • I installed smlnj with apt-get and the executable sml is crashing: # sml /usr/lib/smlnj/bin/.run/run.x86-linux: 1: /usr/lib/smlnj/bin/.run/r

I installed smlnj with apt-get and the executable sml is crashing:
            # sml
            /usr/lib/smlnj/bin/.run/run.x86-linux: 1: /usr/lib/smlnj/bin/.run/run.x86-linux: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
            I collected a strace:
            # strace sml strace: Test for PTRACE_O_TRACESYSGOOD failed, giving up using this feature. execve("/usr/bin/sml", ["sml"], [/* 12 vars */]) = 0 brk(0) = 0x8220000 access("/etc/ld.so.nohwcap", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) mmap(NULL, 8192, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x7ff5ffee0000 access("/etc/ld.so.preload", R_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) open("/etc/ld.so.cache", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3 fstat(3, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=37590, ...}) = 0 mmap(NULL, 37590, PROT_READ, MAP_PRIVATE, 3, 0) = 0x7ff5ffff5000 close(3) = 0 access("/etc/ld.so.nohwcap",…

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Really need a visual bell for accessibility reasons

Implement an option to enable a visual bell and another to disable the audible bell. This would greatly improve accessibility of the console and provide a quieter option for the tab-centric autocompletionist.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Preserve execute permission of files from mounted network file systems

I currently have a Linux desktop, which I mainly use to create test packages for use on server-type systems with specialized hardware, i.e., the test packages I create cannot run on my Linux desktop. Creating these test packages requires access to some file servers in order to copy needed files, a few of which are executable. Using WSL would very nearly allow me to get rid of my Linux desktop, except it can't distinguish files on the server that have the execute permission set from those that don't.

Alternatively, I could copy most of the files I need using our…

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Console

I know the windows command prompt is legacy, but it really deserves an upgrade. In all cases I avoid it like the a plague and that is just a shame. Take a look at Hyper by Guillermo Rauch, it is configurable, supports multiple windows and minimalist.. It easily could do more, but suffice to say it works better than ComEMU (which I used for a long time but is too complex) and the standard console.

Consoles are for developers, so give them the tools they need. I run multiple consoles in development environments, running servers and logs while the others…

3 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please add left margin in the console. It's been so many years...

It's been years. I mean YEARS. People still ask for this. Adding some left margin would greatly improve readability. I don't think it's hard to ask for some left margin or some padding... Someone on the dev team please track this issue and I mean actually track it and give the community some feedback.

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Cmd (classic shell)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Support Bash on Ubuntu / WSL on Windows 8.1

In large enterprise environments, Windows 8.1 is still in wide use & we have no control on upgrading OS. Would like to have the productivity gains of having Ubuntu WSL on Windows 8.1.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Indication of properties currently being edited

Currently when editing the properties of an conhost.exe process, I don't have a good indication of where I'm currently editing.
                        https://i.imgur.com/5j0F7zL.png
                        Something along the lines of "Currently editing regedit" or "Currently editing C:\temp\mypowershell.lnk"

As I can read, you are currently overhauling the settings (Indicated here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/08/11/introducing-the-windows-console-colortool/#comment-31446) but I just wanted to make sure that you remembered this.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Console/Terminal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Support tools like fdisk and dd to directly accss physical and virtual drives

Please add support tools like fdisk and dd to directly accss physical and virtual drives. Right now, running `fdisk -l` outputs "cannot open /proc/partitions" and doing something like `dd if=G: of=disk.img` outputs "dd: failed to open ‘G:’: No such file or directory". I do not see anything in /dev/ that seems to indicate anything is mapped to drives in Windows.

31 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • 1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Things that we miss (Our experience using BashOnWindows)

Hi, we are a team who work using node.js. We are very excited about BashOnWindow because using it, we can write bash scripts to setup, and start our development environment in any OS. There is only two things that we miss in order to use it efectively:

* Launch new terminals: Since there is no graphic server, We can't run commands in a new terminal. For example, I can't write a script that starts 'webpack-dev-server' and 'meteor'. In practice, this is a huge limitation.

* Lack of file exposure: If you copy a file from Windows to BashOnWindows using the…

4 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow to launch static executables from Windows explorer appending a .exe extension

Some static executables works without using any device file or full paths. (for example, a program that download a file in current directory over ʜᴛᴛᴘ from a static ɪᴘ)

So it would be interesting to launch those executables as console program by just double clicking on them like we normally do for normal .exe programs…

6 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Small collection of official WSL utilities akin to Cygwin

There are a bunch of small interop related problem areas that developers will over and over roll their own incompatible (and buggy) scripts to fix...

These include:
                                    - cygpath: convert path from WSL to Windows, Windows to WSL
                                    - getfacl and setfacl: display the Windows file/directory ACLs
                                    - line ending conversion with conv, d2u, dos2unix, u2d, and unix2dos
                                    - simple way of accessing the WINDOWS ENVIRONMENT variables of the process we're running inside of.
                                    - ELF version of "clip.exe" for clipboard access...

I'm sure developers will come up with hundreds of different implementations of each of these, but it would…

19 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Chrooting into existing installations

In conjunction with the request for ext4 mount support, chrooting into existing installations instead of deploying a new distro install in WSL would be a great addition to the upcoming multi-distro support.

22 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• SSH private key with Powershell Bash

Hey,

with new addition of Linux Subsystem, having easier option of adding private keys for SSH would be great. Currently, i find implementation quite bothersome. Workarounds from over the net are quite gray area and they dont work 100 % of time ( or i simply didnt found solution which will work as intended ).

In my opinion this is a must have for System Admin which work on both Linux and Windows, with Windows 10 as personal OS. Some configuration based on Putty would be great, where you can store commonly used ip-s and fqdns of servers, adding new,…

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Implement spawn limit in WSL/Bash.

:(){ : | : & };:

The above fork bomb will when executed in WSL/Bash crash windows with a bluescreen. It is a classic UNIX killer. Linux distros usually implement a spawn limit to make sure you can't do this. I suggest you do so.

11 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Command Prompt / Console / Windows Subsystem for Linux

Feedback and Knowledge Base