Command Prompt / Console / Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)

Greetings from the Windows Command-Line Teams, including the Windows Console and Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) teams!

We’re hear to learn about the features you’d like to see in the Windows Console (the terminal app itself), Cmd and PowerShell shells, and the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) upon which several Linux distros now run!

Note: Please don’t file bugs & issues here: file issues on our GitHub repos instead:

Please DO post your asks, ideas, wants and needs for future features: We ARE listening, and we ARE grateful for your feedback!

Windows Console & WSL Teams.

$ | >

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Console

I know the windows command prompt is legacy, but it really deserves an upgrade. In all cases I avoid it like the a plague and that is just a shame. Take a look at Hyper by Guillermo Rauch, it is configurable, supports multiple windows and minimalist.. It easily could do more, but suffice to say it works better than ComEMU (which I used for a long time but is too complex) and the standard console.

Consoles are for developers, so give them the tools they need. I run multiple consoles in development environments, running servers and logs while the others…

6 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Console/Terminal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re a small team (3 devs) and are working full-time on improving the Console (terminal) UX, as well as Windows’ command-line plumbing itself.

While we can’t ship UX improvements weekly, we do ship several improvements in each major Win10 release.

We don’t have the luxury of building and shipping a terminal written in javascript – we have MUCH tighter performance, memory, disk, etc. footprint limitations to work within in order to satisfy our many customers.

If Hyper works for you, use it with our blessing – we love Gillermo’s work. If Maximus5’s ConEmu works for you, please use it – we love Max’s work too!

In the meantime, we’ll continue to work on overhauling this > 30 year old code-base and adding essential new features and capabilities.

• Build 16226 seems not to have Bash ....

after installing WSL feature & issuing the PS CmdLet "Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature", when trying to install bash from cmd.exe, I get the message:

"C:\WINDOWS\system32>bash
      Windows Subsystem for Linux has no installed distributions.
      Distributions can be installed by visiting the Windows Store:
      https://aka.ms/wslstore

but in the store there aint no Linux Distros for Win 10....
      Am i missing something or am i too impatient?

:) Karl

3 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Unify Branding

Right now, the branding for this feature is kind of all over the place:

- Windows Subsystem for Linux
        - Bash on Windows
        - Bash on Ubuntu on Windows

I realize that WSL is probably, strictly speaking, a separate feature/team (I'm guessing), from BoUoW; and that BoW is probably the same thing as BoUoW, just shorter ... however, the fact that they are all used interchangeably in official blog posts and documentation can be quite confusing when a) searching for information, and b) when communicating about the feature to others.

I'm sure there are reasons for this, including internal team…

143 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Now that we’re delivering multiple distros via the Windows Store, we’re beginning the transition the branding of this feature to just WSL from “Bash [on Ubuntu] on Windows”.

In the future, instead of running “Bash on Ubuntu on Windows”, you’ll just run Ubuntu or openSUSE, or SLES, or Fedora, etc. and they’ll run on WSL.

We’re updating our docs and will start to transition our messaging over the coming few months.

• mouse support for curses applications not working?

I just tied to ead out mouse dta from a curses terminal application without success.
          Putty for example manages it just fine to send mouse movement data to remote terminals, so I would love to see it added in the win10 bash as well.

39 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Make UTF-8 an option for "non-Unicode" programs (ACP)

While I personally appreciate Microsoft's recent improvements involving CP_UTF8 in UoW/conhost, I feel that the support is still far from complete.

Windows' traditional way of making console programs support Unicode characters – compiler-level settings like TCHAR & UNICODE – have been causing troubles for cross-platform libraries and their users. On the other hand, UTF-8, an ASCII-compatible MBCS with support for full Unicode ranges, has become the choice of "legacy-style" C/C++ programmers as well as front-end engineers.

MS is now extending its sphere of influence to many other fields, by introducing open-source programming components and by providing decent cross-platform app-building support.…

19 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Console/Terminal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion.

The biggest overhaul to the Console’s innards in more than 30 years is currently underway. UTF-8 support is something that we are and will be working on in order to support a much broader set of scenarios, platforms, clients and tools.

Just one example of the level of improvements being made include all the Virtual Terminal sequence support added to the Console during Win10AU to support many *NIX tools, along with the new 24-bit color support we released in today’s Insiders build #14931.

Stay tuned for lots more improvements coming in future insiders and major releases.

• Filesystem slow compared with native Ubuntu system.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=windows-10-lxcore&num=1

Lists some benchmarks across Ubuntu and this subsystem. It is very competitive with Native Ubuntu Linux, except when it comes to filesystem access.

Filesystem access is important for compilation, as well as the thousands of "watcher" js and ruby programs that constantly touch the filesystem, which are the stated target market.

So, find a way to speed that up. (I don't know how you are currently mounting the filesystem, so I can't offer any ideas, other than removes as many layers as possible to the filesystem.)

If you are using the ntfs systems in Linux, you might consider implementing…

511 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • iproute2

Please make networking tools (iproute2) working. They are needed (or at least very useful) to develop network applications for linux.

24 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Ubuntu versions

It was mentioned in the preview video that the release version of Ubuntu on windows will go to 16.04. Will there be a way of staying on 14.04 LTS (with appropriate patches) and selecting 14.04 instead of 16.04 on new installations?

16 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Font reset

In the CMD prompt I can change font, and the change is remembered. When I do the same in the PowerShell host, the font resets to "raster 7x12" in the next PowerShell Windows I open.

7 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

working on it  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Don't see your idea?

Command Prompt / Console / Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)

Feedback and Knowledge Base