Command Prompt / Console / Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)

Greetings from the Windows Command-Line Teams, including the Windows Console and Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) teams!

We’re hear to learn about the features you’d like to see in the Windows Console (the terminal app itself), Cmd and PowerShell shells, and the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) upon which several Linux distros now run!

Note: Please don’t file bugs & issues here: file issues on our GitHub repos instead:

Please DO post your asks, ideas, wants and needs for future features: We ARE listening, and we ARE grateful for your feedback!

Windows Console & WSL Teams.

$ | >

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Let us launch Windows processes from Bash

It'd be cool to launch VS Code from Bash instead of leaving & looking for the file in Windows Explorer to edit, as was shown in the Demo.
    It'll allow automating build tasks involving both Linux and Windows tools with sh scripts

1,146 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

37 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. bash copy paste

Keyboard-based copy/paste should work in the bash console (ctrl+c/v)

1,027 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  54 comments  ·  Console/Terminal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Need serial-USB/COM-port access

Please add access to serial port devices (/dev/ttyUSB#, etc.)
    It might not be glamorous, but for interfacing with IoT projects, serial terminals, and other ancient hardware it is very, very useful.

Thank you!

216 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support for symlinks and long filenames in bash

Ubuntu subsystem on Windows blows my mind (being a Ruby dev using a Windows 10 machine). I tried many solutions and I've settled with a Vagrant Ubuntu combined with Unison to sync projects across the two machines. Would love to get rid of the vagrant instance but we need to ensure Ubuntu subsystem will support symlinks and extended filenames out of the box (esp since its using shared storage with Windows 10 core subsystem). NPM, for example, needs these two features before it'll work natively. Good work guys!

554 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  10 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Mount USB / SD removable storage devices

For example:

The micro sd card on my Surface Pro 4 is not mounting when I open bash. It is my d:\ drive in windows. C:\ mounts just fine. I have not even been able to manually mount it. Any thoughts?

391 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Let us fully administer the Windows side of the machine with Bash

And at that, let it be cohesive with the way we all know bash to be.

For example, suppose I did (this wouldn't be syntactically correct, but you get the idea) :

$ echo -ne "\x01\dword" > /proc/registry/HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/MyKey/MyValue

Or I could also read registry values, like so:

$ cat /proc/registry/HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/MyKey/MyValue

Or search the registry, like so:

$ rgrep -i mydata /proc/registry/HKLM/Software/Microsoft

Also let us do the same thing with other Windows side things like WMI objects. Say I wanted to do this in powershell:

Get-WmiObject Win32_PerfRawData_Tcpip_ICMP

The bash equivalent might be:

cat /proc/wmi/Win32_PerfRawData_Tcpip_ICMP

440 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Let us call Bash as such: "bash.exe bash_script.sh" or "bash.exe -c 'echo 1' "

It would be incredibly useful for us to access Bash for various tools e.g. Visual Studio Code

I understand that communication between linux and windows apps wouldn't be possible.

But I believe this could be a good middle ground. Calling bash.exe, passing through a few arguments and letting bash.exe interpret and runs those within it's enclosed environment.

169 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow Windows programs to spawn Bash

The current implementation of Bash does not allow Windows programs to spawn Bash and get output from it via the traditional piping way. This hinders a lot of applications of Bash.
    For example, you cannot run CLI tools inside the WSL against your development environment programatically. Which removes the automation part and makes everything manual. It is one of the most important use cases for WSL, which is why, it must be supported.

GitHub discussion on this: https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/2

135 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add support for other Linux distros / meta-distributions

Consider adding other distros and/or meta-distros e.g. Gentoo ( https://www.gentoo.org/ ) - a mature and well supported metadistribution.

The hot keyword here is "meta": that's mean it's a unix (posix) distribution that could run on virtually any *nix kernel.

Porting it to Windows lxss should be a child's play!

108 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Marking as completed since we’ve now shipped the ability to install distros from the Windows Store in Insider build 16215+, and will arrive in 2017 Fall Creators Update:

Ubuntu: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/07/10/ubuntu-now-available-from-the-windows-store/
    SUSE: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/07/19/suses-linux-distros-for-wsl-now-available-in-the-windows-store/
    Fedora: Coming soon!

Other distros will follow in the coming months.

10. Let us run native build tools from bash

We currently have a build system based on bash from cygwin. With makefiles spawning multiple native build tools like cl, link, rc, qmake, moc and quite a few more including several small helpers. While it would be possible to get many of those built for linux the MS command line compiler and build tools are native Windows binaries only as far as I know.
    It would be wonderful to be able to leave out cygwin from our build environment and compile and build directly from bash.

105 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Installing bash should create a non-root user account, and bash should sign into that on launch

When you launch bash, you're signed in as root. Please consider changing the bash installation process to include creating a standard user account and signing into that by default.

76 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  Bitcrazed responded

Thanks for your feedback: The lack of a user account creation mechanism on first-run was just a temporary issue for our first released build. Default user creation on first-run was added in build #14328 that shipped to Windows 10 fast-ring Insiders on April 22 2016.

12. Emulate POSIX-compliant filesystem permissions

Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) must support traditional Unix permissions for mounted Windows drives in /mnt/*.

Many utilities won't work otherwise.

Dotfiles often contain private data and apps check for chmod 600, ignoring the file otherwise.
    Incorrect permissions are source of many bugs. Without proper emulation, developers won't be able to discover/fix them before deploying on a real Linux system.
    Developers should be able to set executable flags, particularly for Git repos.
    0777 perms on everything is a security risk.

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

[Note: We have made some improvements to file permission handling which have been available for several months now in Win10 Insider builds, and which will roll out broadly when Windows 10 Creators Update ships in a few weeks’ time]

WSL does honor & support Linux filesystem permissions on files stored in the Linux side of the filesystem.

Files that are stored in the Windows filesystem also reflect the permissions of the local Windows user: If a file’s Windows permissions grant the locally logged-in user read-only permissions, a file only reports read-only rights:

~$ ll /mnt/c/dev/WindowsOnly.txt
    r-r—r— 1 root root 13 Mar 7 16:10 /mnt/c/dev/WindowsOnly.txt

Trying to write to this file results in an error:

~$ echo FAIL! > /mnt/c/dev/WindowsOnly.txt
    bash: /mnt/c/dev/WindowsOnly.txt: Permission denied

Note: Windows filesystem permissions always supersede *NIX file permissions – if a user does not have the rights to read/write/execute a file, then they won’t…

13. It would be nice if both CMD.exe and PowerShell.exe could run bash

In the tech video, the guys are running bash by typing bash in CMD.exe. I really enjoy the PowerShell prompt and it would be nice to be able to to run bash from PowerShell as well. That way those that prefer CMD.exe can use CMD and those that use PowerShell can continue to use PowerShell.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Vim or Emacs Command Line Editing

When I'm in other shells I like to set up Vim key bindings (using set -o vi) so I can easily manipulate my current command and quickly modify previously run commands from the history. It'd be great to be able to have that flexibility to set key bindings from your favourite editor.

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Everything is blurry if the DPI scaling is set to anything above 100%. Please bring back the "use same scaling for all displays" option!

Everything is blurry if the DPI scaling is set to anything above 100%. It's unnaceptable for native apps to not be DPI aware. At least bring back the "use same scaling across all displays" option so only people who actually have multiple displays with different DPIs need to suffer through blurry windows.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Console/Terminal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Transparent Linux Compatibility Layer

This is waaaaay more than a "feature", so if you say "no" I totally understand why :)

So here's the thing: there are two things I want in my computing environment as a developer: (a) a pretty and usable interface, and (b) a *nix compatibility layer.

I build software that often (if not always) deploys on Linux in the cloud. That's my job and background. Because I need (a) and (b) above, right now I primarily use Mac OS X as my computing environment. (Linux hardware support/drivers and UX just isn't quite there yet so I don't use a Linux…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow to customize colors for a terminal

With the new 24-bit color options, it would be great to actually be able to use some of the new colors.

It's already well known that you can change colors in the registry to change the colors of the console.
    According to this article, you can also change colors on a single shortcut (.lnk) https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20130527-00/?p=4253

Now it would be great to have a UI for changing colors.
    The current UI only allows changes to Screen Text, Screen Background, Popup Text and Popup Background.
    http://imgur.com/StT8gDZ

I would like to define the 16 original colors as another variant of those colors. For…

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Console/Terminal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Emulator for 16 bit com programs

Please add an emulator for 16 bit com programs. Batch programs with embedded com binaries are extremely powerful. 32 bit exe are too big and also certutil.exe is needed to embed 32 bit binaries into a batch.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Cmd (classic shell)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Enable network connection enumeration

ifconfig, ip, etc. doesn't currently work and /proc/net/dev doesn't exist in Bash on Windows 10 Anniversary Update or Insider builds.

This issue is being tracked in GitHub and a fix is being investigated: https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/908

Example scenario:
    Running a hyper-v virtual machine win10pro with bash, network issues

user@WIN10PRO64-02:/$ sudo /sbin/ifconfig
    Warning: cannot open /proc/net/dev (No such file or directory). Limited output.

/etc/resolve.conf has a dns server configured correctly.

Network does work and apt-get works,
    but no 'ifconfig' and programs cannot call out to 'eth0'

Ubuntu is up to date as of this post.
    apt-get update & apt-get upgrade both work

How…

1,380 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

134 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Support Windows Subsystem for Linux on Windows Server

The newest windows 2016 is awesome. The Bash/WSL subsystem would make such an amazing addition to the functionality of the server version.

95 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Command Prompt / Console / Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)

Feedback and Knowledge Base