$ | >

Filesystem slow compared with native Ubuntu system.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=windows-10-lxcore&num=1

Lists some benchmarks across Ubuntu and this subsystem. It is very competitive with Native Ubuntu Linux, except when it comes to filesystem access.

Filesystem access is important for compilation, as well as the thousands of "watcher" js and ruby programs that constantly touch the filesystem, which are the stated target market.

So, find a way to speed that up. (I don't know how you are currently mounting the filesystem, so I can't offer any ideas, other than removes as many layers as possible to the filesystem.)

If you are using the ntfs systems in Linux, you might consider implementing an improved version for Ubuntu to use, and Open sourcing it would be nice.

540 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

William Armstrong shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ioweb.gr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using symfony as well and it's a pain. Everything seems so slow. Even starting the web server takes 5x the time it needs on linux. We need some updates in this issue :(

• Hao Tong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what Algoinde said about windows defender seemed to be one key factor to this. Other observation is when I'm using tmux and .tmux themes, windows defender CPU and memory usage keep very high all the time.

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is WSL development abandoned? Looking at anything recent from MS comes up short for the most part. Even their blog seems to have stopped abruptly in April last year.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FS I/O is horrible... so everytime I compile, it's just multiple times slower than any other OS I use.

• Orif commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For Christ's sake, do something! Filesystem I/O rate is ridiculous. Can you at least tell us when it is going to be fixed?

I hope you'll start blogging about this soon, I'm eager to see what you have in store for us! I suppose NTFS somehow has to be out of the loop, just like parts of WSL go directly to the NT kernel and not via win32?

FS performance is definitely the biggest issue. Stuff like installing node modules in node/npm projects is painfully slow. I basically have to disable Windows Defender live scanning to make it livable. But it's still pretty slow.

• Daniel Gordon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On creator's update - a 1 gb git repo is unusable. Would like to know if this will be part of the fall update.

• Ricardo Correia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on this subject?
        Git in not the only problem for me.
        Developing on Symfony is a nightmare, and a request to a rest api on dev takes around 40 seconds to complete... I'm running the latest apache, php and mariadb.

This is a problem lots of people is reporting... it would be really great to see improvements on this matter.

Thanks!

• Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Git command still run extremely slow. Hope it can be fixed a.s.a.p.

I think this is now my main complaint about WSL. It is definitely very usable except if you are dealing with a git directory with lots of files.

To give you an example: same GIT project

1) accessed from native Windows
        measure-command {git status}

Days : 0
        Hours : 0
        Minutes : 0
        Seconds : 0
        Milliseconds : 268

2) same directory accessed via /mnt/c under WSL

time git status
        On branch master
        Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
        nothing to commit, working tree clean
        git status 0.91s user 12.12s system 112% cpu 11.606 total

We are talking about almost 100x times speed difference!

• Algoinde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To everyone wondering: the performance drop is caused by the Windows Defender's Realtime Protection, whether you exclude the lxss folders or not. Turning it off improves filesystem access speed tenfold, if you are comfortable with antivirus being disabled (which I do not recommend).

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base