$ | >

Access to "real" linux devices in /dev

...or at least to /dev/sda? (disks) block devices. It could be very powerful to run things like
dd if=/dev/sda2 of=some-remote-mounted-volume/my-backup-C.img

406 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Pierre Baco shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Related to “Add USB Device support”: https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/266908-command-prompt-console-bash-on-ubuntu-on-windo/suggestions/16759696-add-usb-device-support

This is a common ask and, now that we’ve gotten through most of the fundamental engineering, we’ll be more able to start looking-into device support sometime relatively soon, though no guarantees about when and what ;)

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Satoshi Nakamoto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems counterproductive and hypocritical to, on one hand, offer Linux in developer mode on Windows 10, then on the other hand, to disallow those same developers "fdisk" so they can partition up hard drive space for a needed project. fdisk is easy to use for most developers, so preventing them access to partition their own hard drive within WLS is purely short-sighted stupidity. Someone is pretending to be a genius by blocking developers from fdisk, please find this person and fire them

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having access to physical devices would behoove us for a multi-environment work script at work. Please add this functionality!

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 Please add. Want to create backup image files using dd and openssl.

• Kenneth Benson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still have a True Random Generator with USB attachment that I can't use as WSL doesn't properly see USB connections yet. Also unable to debug android apps that are on device. Please try to get this done.

• Charles Machalow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be amazing and make it possible to do Linux/Windows device-level application development straight from Windows. Sweet idea.

• Jacob Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this were implemented, I could probably get away with not having to have a linux install at all. The ability to dd, have loopback devices, access the COM ports through /dev, FUSE filesystems, etc. is the main reason I prefer using linux still, now that WSL exists and has made cygwin obsolete!

• v commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should definitely be made for devices that are unrecognized by windows. It is ok if it returns i/o error when attempted for devices already mounted in windows.

• Michael Li commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey there, will there a mechenism that connect the device in wsl? It's good to use dd for /dev/* device

Feedback and Knowledge Base