$ | >

Consider enabling cron jobs, daemons and background tasks

Bash/WSL doesn't support cron jobs, daemons or background tasks in Win10AU. The ability to run background jobs would be very useful. Please consider adding this feature.

1,449 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

58 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • WSLUser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AF_Unix Windows - WSL interop further enhances this capability with 17093. You can now create socket streams to run services for both Windows and WSL. I would consider this ask as completed.

• Kenneth Benson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you would look up, you will see it's in the new Insider build, which means the next update (~April) will have it built-in.

• Jerry D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm really trying hard to not insult the individual(s) who thought not allowing tasks/daemons/cron jobs for WSL was a good/productive idea. This is one of the most important features for people in Data Science. Stop crippling WSL for unintelligible reasons, and give us what we need, not a quearter of it. I guess I should just finally install Ubuntu.

• PairedPrototype commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 And just for performance reasons? It should be up to the user what they want closing.

If the user is competent enough to install WSL, then I'm pretty sure they're competent enough to know what services they want to keep running in the background (daemonised).

• James Biederbeck. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an omission, not a feature. "To conserve system resources"? My thousand dollars of system resources are there to be used!

• Joshua Pack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be amazing, please add :D Right now, I can't setup cron jobs, even when the windows is open.

• Niclas Lindstedt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this very badly. Why not make this an option at least.

"Keep bash processes running in the background"

I mean this IS a developer tool right? Not meant for regular Windows users.

• Najati Imam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This also prevents you from running X programs against xming without having a bash.exe open.

• Gerald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Running bash.exe tasks using Windows 10 Task Scheduler does not work if the (usually neccessary) option "Run whether user is logged on or not" is selected. This is very sad, please fix this in a future WSL version. Running automated tasks stuff is where Linux excels and I would love to have those possibilities in Windows.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base