$ | >

OpenCL & CUDA GPU support

It would be nice to have (relatively) easy access to the dedicated GPU's on our Win10 PC's, and OpenCL support for the AMD Drivers & CUDA for NVidia drivers etc.

What I am thinking on specifically (although there are many many uses for it and CUDA support) is hashing functions that are lackluster within windows itself, but benefit immensely within Linux and Unix.

Cryptocurrency mining for example, is known to be much faster on Linux systems than Windows. Do you see any support for OpenCL and/or CUDA in the future?

3,022 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Zachary Bolt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    on the backlog  ·  AdminCraig (Program Manager, Windows Developer) responded  · 

Hey WSL users, as many of you have been asking for an update: we still do not have anything on the books yet for this feature, but we have NOT forgotten this request.

As we navigate requirements and evaluate our WSL work, we ask that you please continue voicing your desires and upvoting this issue. Feel free to ping me on twitter @CraigWilhite to tell me more about how you’d like to see this feature in WSL.

276 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to use GPU acceleration via WSL (Ubuntu). CUDA is needed for a lot of deep learning algorithms

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to use GPU acceleration via WSL (Ubuntu). CUDA is needed for a lot of deep learning algorithms.

• Sander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to use GPU acceleration via WSL (Ubuntu). CUDA is needed for a lot of deep learning algorithms.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@RichTurner 1) Linux is faster than Windows 10 and WSL is faster than Linux (except IO). 2) we got GNU powertools and ecosystem that are far superior than what got got so far on Windows, so it really make sense to support this.

• Keith K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just realized this deficiency yesterday when my developers told me that they needed to config dual boot of windows 10 and ubuntu for the brand new GPU machines while I was puzzled why they didn't opt for WSL. We need these support from WSL!

• Mikael Lepistö commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> OpenCL & CUDA GPU support: Feel free to ping me on twitter @CraigWilhite to tell me more about how you’d like to see this feature in WSL.

Probably this comment would have been too long for twitter... maybe I'll ping main point of this there too :) Probably you know a lot better how that should be done, but in case if there hasn't been time to think about it. I suppose that the best would be if windows could somehow expose the pure GPU hardware to be visible in WSL and then the driver installed in WSL would handle everything. If it would be possible to get GPU working without need for custom drivers it would be awesome. If that is not feasible then one should probably look the way how vmware + nvidia has implemented the GPU support... afaik nvidia-docker is just passing device from host machine to be visible in container, so that probably won't help in this case. Anyway I'm really looking forward to see this happening. This is currently the only reason why I cannot change to be Windows user completely. I'm still macnlinuxdude mostly :)

• Young commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Awesome! Can you add better support to usb port and serial port, too? You cannot really do much without it for robots right?

• Chris Morton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A use-case which would be very useful to me would be where my application runs on the wsl but is displayed on the windows side using an xserver (such as Cygwin Xwin) run with an indirect GLX context. This way the application on Linux can take advantage of the GPU (such as the Nvidia one I have) being controlled on the windows side for rendering openGL content. I thought this would work but it does not. The glxinfo command run on the Linux side shows missing GPU extensions. When run on the windows side in a Cygwin window, the extensions show up (such as GL_EXT_gpu_shader4)

• Yunus Emre Kayalıdere commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes we have not forgotten it either. I dont know wether it helps but there is GPU support for docker by nvidia. You can check their repo for more info.

• Radhakrishna Dasari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. The reproducible research code is often tested on Linux with CUDA. It will be of great help if this feature is made available

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base