$ | >

Add Wireless Device Support

iwconfig and other wireless device tools cannot interact with wireless devices. While ifconfig, ip, etc network support has been added and displays the wireless devices (wifi0, wifi1, ...), iwconfig and other tools cannot detect wireless support. Considering the omnipresence of wifi, this makes the "Enable network connection enumeration" request feel technically fulfilled but practically half-done. Can we expect wifi support in the near future? Or are there work arounds involving the installation or compilation of particular tools?

165 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

P Cas Sz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Name commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wsl is better off not created without full wifi adopter access. It is as good as a trash. What a waist of time.

• Levente Morva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm also in support of this for pen-testing reasons. Kali is an essential tool, but I'd love to not have to use a separate VM or leave Windows completely to execute otherwise simple tasks.

• WSLUser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to be able to perform *********** testing utilizing Kali Linux from the Store to verify all security bugs are addressed in software I create. Sometimes this requires testing from a network level to verify the connections between a host and the server remain secure. Some tests require the use of wireless, which Kali currently doesn't have access to. By allowing wireless device support, this use case and similar other ones would be more easily fulfilled instead of having to spin up a VM, or most likely, replace Windows with Kali, ParrotSec, or so on.

• abkorim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kali is for a *********** testing. if there is no Wireless Device Support then how can test.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kali linux is severly handicapped without being able to access the interfaces directly

• justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, this is a must. Have been using Ubuntu WLS for a while now. Just tried giving Kali a spin for pen testing, but my wireless interfaces are being read as ethernet interfaces.

• tiancaipipi110 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

same problem. I'm trying to use raspberry pi, typed 'iwconfig' through rasp terminal and it shows no wireless extension

• Maxime commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the launch of kali linux for Windows, we really need to have a direct access with wireless and ethernet devices. Please check this option

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why you invested to WSL and Kali if basic wifi tools are not functional? Tools showing message - no wireless interfaces were found?

• Seth Leedy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd much rather use the WSL when Pent testing than rebooting. I'll need the wireless extensions to show up so I can use the wifi tools like iwconfig, nmap, aircrack-ng.
    I see that Serial and USB have been added, making progress ?

• Pushpal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use 'iw' quite a bit for wireless card testing. I don't know of a move powerful tool than it. Yes, you can "control your Wifi via Windows", but you can't get any kind of detailed information easily. 'iw' shows you the bands the phy supports, channels, crda information etc.

• Alejandro Sklar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

absolutely agree with this request! I use iwconfig for testing network coverage and signal strength of WiFi access points and devices. the Windows 10 "WiFi Analyzer" app provides this info, BUT it is difficult to get consistent, robust data logged from the app. Using iwconfig, one can for instance create a bash script to log signal strength (dBm) to csv with datapoints every second. Basically, using iwconfig provides much more flexibility and options for actual professional network diagnostics and testing

• Nicholas Logozzo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to scan devices on the network using something like nmap to ensure the device on your network are the device you want

• Logan Fleur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I, in Ubuntu, use wavemon for diagnostics of wifi networks, monitoring signal strength and noise of the connected network. In conjunction with iwconfig & iwlist, I can connect to a specific BSSID in enterprise wifi networks, unlike having to pick the ssid and hope for the best from Windows.

All of these utilities fail since wireless device support is poorly implemented:

#wavemon
    no supported wireless interfaces found!

#iwlist wifi0 ap
    wifi0 Interface doesn't have a list of Peers/Access-Points

#iwconfig
    eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 no wireless extensions.

eth2 no wireless extensions.

eth3 no wireless extensions.

lo no wireless extensions.

wifi0 no wireless extensions.

wifi1 no wireless extensions.