$ | >

Support AF_PACKET address family (tcpdump/wireshark...)

From https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/1628

It would be great to get support for AF_PACKET, as some networking tools or software rely on that.

Samples of tool that won't work without it:
- tcpdump (socket: Invalid argument)
- wireshark
- some nmap functions
- Scapy

852 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

gpotter2 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

142 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joseph Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My only interest in BASH on Windows was having access to network tools I would otherwise need a VM for. Is this support on the Plan of Record and, if so, how far out are we? 2018, 2019 or just sometime in the future?

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same precluding restrictions with WSL to handle:
        traceroute
        VRRPd (high availability IP on wire, rfc 5798(v3) , rfc3768(v2), rfc2787(v1))

To diagnose connectivity issues the Linux fraternity enjoy PING, MTR, TRACEROUTE, TELNET, CURL, WGET, SNMPWALK. Windows has similar tools but in the case of the diagnostic TELNET, chooses to turn it off by default (because? If it can be used for bad, then surely a browser can be also??).

Perhaps WSL should either extend the Windows Socket language on the host, or should come up with a virtual adapter that is fully able to be promiscuous on the NIC driver. To achieve this politely, perhaps a MAC filter could be inherent to give WSL a new virtual-adapter and ban it from witnessing traffic destined to Windows bound MAC/IP. This then implies that WSL would need an IP of its own, but perhaps ONLY when needing to provide rawsockets and non-shared networking.....

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if this could be fixed. I am a system administrator and I need to have bash. This is normally a simple task on linux. Its really annoying now and I have to live boot into linux each time.

• Michael Fread commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actual use case that I ran into, needing to do a simple scan on the local subnet for alive ip's and corresponding mac addresses with vendor lookup to find out which ip a webcam took from dhcp. The reality is the networking utilities available at the cli on Linux are dramatically superior to what you find via the windows cli.

• Cristian O. Balan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+10000000... :(

This is just a simple thing you can normally achieve from Linux while using nmap -p/-Pn. Does it needs to be justified?

• gageke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The first thing I tried on WSL when it was first released was nmap and it did not work. I have not, and will not, try WSL again until this has been fixed. Thanks.

• DT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this MS, having bash in windows really makes my admin life easier. Tcpdump, nmap et al really will be the icing on the cake and help me not have to have lots of 3rd party apps installed, or have to run a linux machine on the side. Bash, probably the best things in windows since DOS :)

• WSLUser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone needs to stop +1 this and put real use cases so the priority can be given to finish the work of implementing AF_Unix on Windows. The more use cases put, the bigger the push Microsoft will feel to complete this project.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base