$ | >

Windows Firewall should support Pico/WSL

Frustratingly the Windows Firewall itself does not support WSL even in the creators update.,

99 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Stephen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New version of Windows a couple of days ago ... still not dealing with this issue .. still cant add Pico as a rule in the firewall so WSL still wont work if you have your firewall set to block outgoing

• Steve Flynn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the bet that we make it a full year since this post and absolutely nothing will have come back from Microsoft....

• Lahma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, you simply never cease to amaze me... You create something like Bash on Ubuntu on Windows, which will obviously ONLY be used by power users (i.e. people who actually configure/customize their firewall), yet you make it incompatible with your OWN firewall (unless left wide open)... You are even aware of the incompatibility, and have been aware of it since it was released. You constantly release updates, updates to plan for the updates, and updates to fix the stuff you broke with the last update, and force not just security updates onto users, but literally any feature you see fit, and reboot user's machines at your whim ("I'm sorry.. were you in the middle of something and weren't able to save the thing you just spent the last 6 hours working on? My bad..."). You force your entire user base to beta test your feature updates, and quite literally explicitly reset preferences, privacy settings, and reverse convoluted workarounds that users are forced to implement to try to prevent you from forcing updates onto them, yet you can't manage to implement a minor fix such as this in nearly 2 years. God knows we all needed 3D printer support (because clearly every Windows 10 user has a 3D printer, right?), Hololens support, and VR/mixed-reality support before a fix for one of the core security components of the Windows operating system. Supporting virtual processes, a thing which really is not uncommon in current times, is such a basic required element of any firewall product, yet you continue to pretend that it is a total non-issue... despite the fact that nearly all third party firewall products either already support virtual processes, or quickly added support for them after their users reported this problem. Then again, I'm not sure why I would expect anything less of you... You haven't managed to fix the MOST BASIC of bugs that have been present in Windows Firewall since Windows XP SP2 (1 simple example off the top of my head... supporting "%" characters in the program path of firewall rules... a totally valid character in NTFS file names and even used by Windows itself to enclose environment variables... yet... it hasn't worked since day 1 despite the many repeated reports/requests over the last 20 something years. I won't be holding my breath for any "fixes" of any kind, including this one, as I've learned you truly don't give a #!@$. (I could write a novel filled with facts that support that statement and make it unequivocal).

• A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's really sad that I have resorted to installing cygwin on Windows 10 just to install squid so I can proxy WSL around/through the windows firewall. :(

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My windows firewall blocks all outgoing by default so I can't use WSL until this is implemented unfortunately.

Feedback and Knowledge Base