$ | >

Raw Disk access and filesystem mounting

I would love to have the ability to access raw partitions on my hard drive (provided that WSL is stable and will not obliterate my data) and also have the ability to mount filesystems not natively supported under Windows such as ext4, and btrfs among others. Specifically, I want to be able to mount partitions on my hard drive that I have windows installed on.

159 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brady shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gregory Young commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the very least, please implement loop devices so we can mount .iso images in WSL. As it stands, I cannot do any linux .iso manipulation and rebuilding in WSL.

• WinEunuuchs2Unix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I askied a similar question in AskUbuntu.com it appears the better way is to have Linux store your scripts, documents, etc. you want shared with WSL on an NTFS partition which Linux can write to. The other option is even uglier having to setup a second machine as a Open-SSH server and storing your scripts and documents there so they can be accessed from your dual-booted laptop. I looked at Paragon (they charge for it) and Ext2FSD but it clobbers stuff in 64-bit mode (version .68 or .69 IIRC). There is WinBTRFS but that is still one-man experimental project and I don't feel like using BTRFS in Linux. +1 for your request and I'd appreciate comments of a better way of sharing the same file on a dual-boot laptop between Windows 10 WSL and Ubuntu16.04.

• Harry Gindi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Raw disk mounting is possible.

Ext4 support is not. Supporting ext4 would require a Windows version of the ext4 filesystem driver. Filesystem drivers are hard to program and way beyond the scope of WSL.

Maybe another team at MS might be convinced to implement a first-party driver, but I doubt it.

On the other hand, if there is a stable mature third-party implementation of an ext4 driver, it is possible that the WSL team could add support for it later through DrvFS.

Feedback and Knowledge Base