$ | >

Support ctrl+c signals for windows applications launched from WSL/bash

In short: Make ctrl+c interrupt / kill windows applications launched from WSL.

In long: At the moment windows executables launched from bash / WSL do not terminate when I ctrl+c the process. For example I might launch a compilation step which uses a windows .exe, and then decide to cancel it and modify something first. After ctrl+C the bash terminal thinks the process is stopped and lets me begin typing new commands, but the compilation keeps running and spills output into the terminal. Any file locks etc. will also be held which might block further commands I want to execute. This is kind of awkward as I then have to use Task Manager to kill the process.

This is in response to https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/1614#issuecomment-321429287, which spoke about all the bash job control features being applicable but I think ctrl+c should be the highest priority, unless it is only possible to implement them all at once.

Thanks
David

72 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

David Hewitt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jesse Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is easily noticeable for anyone running a web application with ASP.NET Core using dotnet.exe from Bash. Ctrl+C appears to kill the process until you run it again and it throws an error that the port is already in use.

• Walkman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is possibly more easily noticeable if you run notepad.exe from bash, then Ctrl+C it - the notepad window stays open.

Feedback and Knowledge Base