$ | >

Add libusb support to WSL

Since previous one(https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/266908-command-prompt-console-bash-on-ubuntu-on-windo/suggestions/16759696-add-usb-device-support) was marked "complete", this one more clearly states support for libusb as in any usb device raw, rather than just storage mounting and serial pass-through.
My example need is Yubikey gpg-card.

481 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Daniel Ivanov shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

46 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ThePhoenyx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the recent builds allow use of AF_UNIX style sockets? I know WSL does, if the windows side can then a service watching a socket and sending it to the winusb libs with a frontend in wsl sending to that socket. Just a thought.

• Sarim Khan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't know if developers read these comments. But libusb in windows works by having two layers. A backend [winusb, libusbk etc..] and a frontend. Is it not possible to find a way to connect windows backend to WSL libusb frontend? That way this feature could be implemented without significant work in NT kernel or in WSL core.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some examples of USB devices not currently supported: smart cards, bluetooth dongles, connections to smartphones (adb), speakers, etc.

Incidentally the primary reason I need to use Linux is because UWP Windows Bluetooth does not support "peripheral mode" on a desktop device - even if the underlying dongle supports that mode. IE: improssible to publish attributes and act as a "server" using windows on a desktop machine.

• Aaron Marks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anyone doing hardware development and diagnostics from Linux could really benefit from this. Currently, most of our developers are forced to run Linux as their primary OS because of this.

• Rudolfs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to work with USB wireless network adapters trough the WSL would be nice.

• Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to communicate with a labjack in a linux environment. Lack of libusb support means I can't use WSL.

• Istvan Fabian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be super-useful to avoid dual-booting or having a separate machine for Linux so I can access my custom hardware device via libusb.

• Jasem Mutlaq commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any ETA on this? This is one important features that a LOT of developers are looking forward to!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base