$ | >

Add libusb support to WSL

Since previous one(https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/266908-command-prompt-console-bash-on-ubuntu-on-windo/suggestions/16759696-add-usb-device-support) was marked "complete", this one more clearly states support for libusb as in any usb device raw, rather than just storage mounting and serial pass-through.
My example need is Yubikey gpg-card.

633 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Daniel Ivanov shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

61 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • hosza1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, USB scanner support would be awesome! I have a working LIde30 too and have to use a VM with Ubuntu just to scan while using WSL instead and ditching that VM would be so joyful. Thank you!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please ad old USB scanner support such as CanoScan LiDE 30. No drivers in modern Windows any more but 100% support via Scanner Access Now Easy (SANE) in Linux.

• John Wayne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will the WSL2 release compatibility for this? Yubikey gpg card is exactly my need, too. They say that a full Linux kernel will be included in Win10/WSL2...

• Darby Mitchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

smartcard support for SSH! OpenSSH on Windows doesn't yet support pkcs11, WSL doesn't support libusb. Two different ways to run SSH on Windows, and neither way supports PKCS11 smartcards.

And yet another +1 for YubiKey support in WSL. If this arrives, I can kill my linux VM and actually go full Windows for my development environment.

• Kenneth Benson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yubikeys, my Infnoise true random generator, debugger attachments for various IoT boards such as Particle Photon/Argon/Xenon and a whole host of ESP-8266 and -32 boards, Adafruit Feather boards and Feather doubler/tripler boards; some of them use usb serial and some need special drivers(available for Win or Linux but not at the same time). I could go on for a while. Also Wireshark packet capture/nmap/etc for my laptop running Win 10 with WSL on it so I can figure out who/how/where someone is tapping into the office's network. I think you get my drift on this. It really is needed badly.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

libsub support, along with FUSE & OpenCL/CUDA support on WSL are by far the most wanted features! Adding them will mark the end of separate VM (or dual boot) linux installation for a personal dev env.

• Frank Monza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make Android development possible!! ADB USB is NOT working and we have to fall back to windows one which is not a nice workaround in a lot of use cases.

• ThePhoenyx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the recent builds allow use of AF_UNIX style sockets? I know WSL does, if the windows side can then a service watching a socket and sending it to the winusb libs with a frontend in wsl sending to that socket. Just a thought.

• Sarim Khan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't know if developers read these comments. But libusb in windows works by having two layers. A backend [winusb, libusbk etc..] and a frontend. Is it not possible to find a way to connect windows backend to WSL libusb frontend? That way this feature could be implemented without significant work in NT kernel or in WSL core.

Some examples of USB devices not currently supported: smart cards, bluetooth dongles, connections to smartphones (adb), speakers, etc.

Incidentally the primary reason I need to use Linux is because UWP Windows Bluetooth does not support "peripheral mode" on a desktop device - even if the underlying dongle supports that mode. IE: improssible to publish attributes and act as a "server" using windows on a desktop machine.

• Aaron Marks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anyone doing hardware development and diagnostics from Linux could really benefit from this. Currently, most of our developers are forced to run Linux as their primary OS because of this.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base