$ | >

Andoid Distro Support

I'm very happy about Ubuntu / SUSE / Fedora options for WSL. But isn't Android based on Linux as well? It would be AMAZING to be able to test/run Android apps using WSL, as other Linux apps are able to run GUIs in Windows in the current version.

31 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joe Skeen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Android being based on Linux is a VERY broad use of the term "based on".
        Android has a Linux kernel, but that's where the similarities end.

• Primoin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mined isto. Compounded to be a flag. Too be unfruled LED exhaust... Fueling Mandingo

• WSLUser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Craighead, booo! Linux is open-source, therefore Android is open-source. Google wants to move away from that? Looks like Apple will having alot more customers switch over because nobody is going to support that once they realize everything they know and love is gone and replaced by something that nobody is going to want but a small minority.
        " Fuchsia's capability to run on universal devices, from embedded systems to smartphones, tablets and personal computers." If Google thinks it can replace Real Linux and Windows, they're going to experience a huge backlash that they might not be able to come back from.

• Craighead commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Besides, Google long-term is moving Android off Linux to Magenta/Fuchsia architecture.

Lewis, you must of skipped past the part of unsupported. Go ahead, don't install an X server such as Xming or VcxSrv, try to run a x11 app "natively". It will fail every time.Want to use Wayland? Forget it, even with VcxSrv, Wayland won't work and has a Github issue associated because of it. Anyways, this isn't related to the Ask. I mentioned about GUI because you need GPU support to run your smart phone apps. Unless you found a way to run it inside the console while displaying everything that will be displayed to your customers (I have serious doubts about that), this won't be looked at. Interesting to note though is the fact that apparently there is some code about android graphic support based on WSL's roots: ADSS for Windows Phone. So some code is there but disabled that would support this ask. Problem is there isn't enough prioritization for this (needs much more votes) I personally would love it if we could run our Android (and Apple) apps from Windows just as a user of Windows and Android. Google and Apple could make more profit then too, some of which would go to MS, for users of WSL by adding their Google Play Store and Apple Store respectively in Windows similar to the Windows Store app.

Joe Skeen, any GUI apps running from within the WSL session for Ubuntu or OpenSuse is officially unsupported and requires installing a third party X tool such as VcxSrv or Xming. This is a rather buggy approach though not nearly as buggy as it was in the beginning. Doing this is the top of of the UserVoice list, vote for it. Being able to run Android apps from Windows would be great but then there quite a few complications for that, one of which I just spoke about.

Feedback and Knowledge Base