$ | >

Enhance Background Transparency

Transparency is an essential visual enhancement for many and should generally only apply to the window contents and not the surrounding "chrome" of the window, such as the title bar and scroll bar.

Optionally, the Console "frame" could be made transparent when focused/un-focused, controlled via separate transparency slider

Also, it'd be awesome if the Console background could support the Fluent blurring effect to reduce the distraction of the contents of underlying windows while giving some visual cue as to what the app underneath is doing.

187 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Shaun shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Aaron Carlisle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

very nice feature I am for having the ''chrome'' not faded or at the very least have that as a sub-option same with the blur effect as discussed in this thread

• keke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love that feature too. Would be nice to see a "live" update of the transparency setting we choose before clicking the "OK" button. Right now, it's a Trial & Error approach until you find a spot you like.

• D, Charles Pyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love this enhancement! Just found it today and set it to on before writing this. I'd also like to see options to choose to make only the window contents use the enhancement, too.

• Travis C Howard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please blur the content behind the window more. When Command Prompt is on top of text that's a similar size, it becomes exceedingly difficult to read.

• Joel "Jaykul" Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More importantly, there should be separate opacity for "foreground" and "background" consoles -- i.e. very transparent until I click on it, and then less transparent.

• Evan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Transparency is nice, but there should really be separate sliders for the foreground, background, and window frame/titlebar. Background and frame opacity should be able to go to 0%.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would add that the text should remain at 100% opacity as well, similar to Terminal in OS X. So the only part that would become transparent would be the background color.

• Shaun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My suggestion on providing the percentage values on the slider is so that if you find what your "individual taste" is you can make a mental note of that value and re-apply it to other computers you may use that are not necessarily tied together by your synced profile settings. As for your first point, it sounds like you misread my suggestion and have reversed my meaning. Doesn't sound so silly to me...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If it was just the chrome surrounding the window, the text would have a highly visible box around the outside of the dimmed console. This is significantly worse than dimming the whole window and would look crappy from a design point of view. Secondly the transparency feature is completely based on taste, so adding a percentage value is counterproductive. Nobody needs exactly 70%. They need enough to make it look good to their individual taste. So I think that's somewhat of a silly suggestion.

• AdminMicrosoft Console Team (Admin, Windows Developer) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, you're right again. :) -- We are thinking the same thing, and would have even liked to get both of these into the technical preview. Time was against us and we (well I, blame me) decided that *some* transparency was better than none for now. And again, the all too familiar disclaimer: we can't commit to including any feature or change, including these. --Rich

Feedback and Knowledge Base