$ | >

Auto-hide scrollbar, esecially in full-screen mode

Hide the scrollbar until mouse approaches it. Make the "hit zone" for showing the scrollbar bigger than the scrollbar itself so it's not too hard to show. This feature would be especially nice in full screen mode.

137 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

John B shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lastly, make sure that there is an option to disable the auto-hide behaviour. Its still useful so making it as an option is a win-win.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! PLEASE! This would make the console window more modern, cleaner and more focused without that distracting scrollbar (which is light themed that stands-out too much from the CLI).

Better they make use of new scrollbar behaviour introduced with Fluent Design where it auto-hides into thin scrollbar indicator and just fades away. Also just replace it with dark theme, with black background.

Console window on other *nix OS like macOS and most Linux distros already have this auto-hide scrollbar behaviour, and it seems they are accepted that way. Their Terminal is really way more modern than its on Windows, which has been left untouched for ages.

Would be nice if the titlebar is at least black one. Again, that pure white titlebar is distracting and stands-out too much from the CLI. And no, changing to colorize titlebar should not be just an option.

• DJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes I moved back to Windows and WSL because it feels so much nicer. The scrollbars make my console window ugly though.

Setting console height to window height is not an option because I want to scroll normally (with the mouse)

• Kison Ho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Strong agree! I am currently trying everything I can to remove this suck thing but seems impossible.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also suggest this option but make sure it can be enabled or disabled. Make it Enabled by default that way everyone is happy.

• Henry Gabryjelski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally, I agree with Stefan Tucker's comments, and would not want this feature enabled by default, if implemented..

• Stefan Tucker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please don't do this. I dislike "scrubbing" over applications to see if they have a scrollbar I can use. I also like to glance at the scrollbar's thumb to determine where I am in the display and how much content is before and after my position. It must be visible at all times for that to be possible.

Feedback and Knowledge Base