Command Prompt / Console / Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)

Greetings from the Windows Command-Line Teams, including the Windows Console and Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) teams!

We’re hear to learn about the features you’d like to see in the Windows Console (the terminal app itself), Cmd and PowerShell shells, and the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) upon which several Linux distros now run!

Note: Please don’t file bugs & issues here: file issues on our GitHub repos instead:

Please DO post your asks, ideas, wants and needs for future features: We ARE listening, and we ARE grateful for your feedback!

Windows Console & WSL Teams.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Windows Console should support tabbed 'pages'

Great to see some of these improvements, especially the cut/copy/paste keyboard shortcuts. However, I've been seeking for a way for the cmd window to have a tabbed interface for a while. So, for example, I can run a ping/tracert etc. in one tab, a chkdsk in another tab, and something else in a third, without having multiple windows open taking up screen real estate.

Also consider adding panes side-by-side within the console.

1,663 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

70 comments  ·  Console/Terminal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable Console to use Fallback Fonts to display emoji and more Unicode codepoints

It'd be nice if Console could support font fallback to enable it to display emoji, east-Asian glyphs, and Unicode symbols.

Consolas doesn't have very broad Unicode coverage, and most *nix terminals have the capability.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Console/Terminal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. UTF-8

I really really want utf-8, I do not use any legacy console apps from 80-s, so please please please make it happens :)

776 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Console/Terminal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enhance Background Transparency

Transparency is an essential visual enhancement for many and should generally only apply to the window contents and not the surrounding "chrome" of the window, such as the title bar and scroll bar.

Optionally, the Console "frame" could be made transparent when focused/un-focused, controlled via separate transparency slider

Also, it'd be awesome if the Console background could support the Fluent blurring effect to reduce the distraction of the contents of underlying windows while giving some visual cue as to what the app underneath is doing.

187 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Console/Terminal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Command Prompt / Console / Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base