Command Prompt / Console / Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)

Greetings from the Windows Command-Line Teams, including the Windows Console and Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) teams!

We’re hear to learn about the features you’d like to see in the Windows Console (the terminal app itself), Cmd and PowerShell shells, and the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) upon which several Linux distros now run!

Note: Please don’t file bugs & issues here: file issues on our GitHub repos instead:

Please DO post your asks, ideas, wants and needs for future features: We ARE listening, and we ARE grateful for your feedback!

Windows Console & WSL Teams.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Making DrvFS fmask=111 usable

(from https://github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues/3267)

At the moment when using a git repo on DrvFS, all new files will be created as +x, which git detects and sets core.filemode=false. Enabling fmask=111 in drvfs options fixes this, but that breaks all .exe interop, since those need the +x bit too.

As mentioned in the WSL bug, this can be worked around by adding an explicit mount with the options in fstab, but those entries are not auto-mapped when invoking `bash.exe` or `wsl.exe` from windows, meaning either you need to manually mount without fmask any PATH entries and re-write the WSL-side mapped paths, or…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Feature request for an additional API function

Windows 10 Home x64 v. 10.0.17763.379

Window property "Wrap text output on resize" is checked. Text has been wrapped on the edge of the screen buffer and the position of the CrLf as written to Standard Output. If the window gets resized, the wrapping moves along with the width of the window while the CrLf persists at the end of the written line. That implies that the text is additionally buffered (not only in the character cells of the screen buffer). ReadConsoleOutputCharacter reads the range of the screen buffer. Of course without getting any information about the original line end.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Console/Terminal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add framebuffer support (/dev/fb0)

First of all, WSL is great! Thanks for this amazing feature!

Now, please support frame-buffer device implementation, we develop many C/C++ apps that draws its graphs directly by open fb like this:

int open_framebuffer(void)
    {
    const char *fbname;
    int ret;

fbname = getenv("FB");
    if (fbname == 0)
    fbname = "/dev/fb0";

ret = open(fbname, O_RDWR);
    if (ret == -1)
    ret = open("/dev/fb/0", O_RDWR);

return ret;
    }

WSL has no framebuffer device yet, so please bring us a complete fb0 device!

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 75 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Support wsl --import gzipped tar file

wsl --import now supports only plain tar.
    But, WSL Distro in MS Store contains gzipped tar file.
    tar.exe could not extract a tar file from tar.gz.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Console window title: please replace "Administrator: " with something shorter or even remove it

Command prompts opened as administrator are indistinguishable in the task bar because of the long prefix "Administrator: " added to its title.
    The `title` command changes only the part of the title that goes after this prefix. Please do something about it: shorten it to "Admin:", or even just "A", or a bomb emoji, or change the icon in the task bar and remove the prefix altogether, or add a setting for the user to choose, etc.

People go as far as modifying cmd.exe in a hex editor to get rid of this prefix:
    https://serverfault.com/questions/35561/how-to-remove-administrator-from-the-command-promt-title

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Console/Terminal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Support custom baud rate ioctls for COM ports

In addition to the already-requested ioctls for RTS/DTR control, support for custom baud rate ioctls would be terrific. Specifically required to support ESP8266 development (the module console is fixed at 74880).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. UWP

My first UWP application , this is awesome example , hello world voice amazing , thank you for all

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support *BSD operating systems.

One of the benefits of WSL is that many server environments are Linux systems and the developer can validate many changes locally before deployment.

Similarly, various *BSD variants (Free-, Open-, etc.) are also frequently used on servers and developers could benefit immensely from having similar functionality.

This will likely be a larger item than allowing multiple Linux distributions on WSL due to the differences in system call structure.

92 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Raw Disk access and filesystem mounting

I would love to have the ability to access raw partitions on my hard drive (provided that WSL is stable and will not obliterate my data) and also have the ability to mount filesystems not natively supported under Windows such as ext4, and btrfs among others. Specifically, I want to be able to mount partitions on my hard drive that I have windows installed on.

188 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Command to convert Windows path to WSL path

I'd like a command (to use in batch files) to convert a Windows path to a path usable in WSL.

For example:
    C:\Users\me\Desktop -> /mnt/c/Users/me/Desktop
    "D:\Photos\2018 Holiday" -> /mnt/d/Photos/2018\ Holiday

Makes it easier to call bash scripts from a Windows batch file with files/directories as parameters.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows Command-Line  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add support for other Linux distros / meta-distributions - part two

After about year we have some distros in official MS magazine but we already don't have rights to install another Linux distributives.

I think we need to general methods of porting yourself distros to WSL.
    It's will be easy to another people - the one idea to be popularity.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. printing from WSL.

I tried installing cups and cups-pdf but could not get it to work. lpadmin keeps giving me error message. Is that possible?
    One workaound is using the shareware software printfil and instead of using lpr for printing, I redirect printed materials to the file that printfil listens to...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Andoid Distro Support

I'm very happy about Ubuntu / SUSE / Fedora options for WSL. But isn't Android based on Linux as well? It would be AMAZING to be able to test/run Android apps using WSL, as other Linux apps are able to run GUIs in Windows in the current version.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Enable/Install WSL within a Docker Windows container

Hi everyone,

I am wanting to enable and install the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) feature from within a Docker windowsservrecore container.
    However, due to the fact that Docker containers are more like full-environment-processes than VMs,
    and because WSL feature installation requires a 'system reboot'; this has proven troublesome.

I have seen solutions that other people have figured out for installing features that normally 'require reboot' in a Docker windows container:
    - e.g. Active Directory support: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/containerstuff/2017/01/30/create-a-container-with-active-directory-support/
    - e.g. Server Media Foundation: https://www.impostorprogrammer.com/articles/docker/media_foundation_windows_containers.html

So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or has managed something similar for getting WSL…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Run services when Windows starts?

In Bash, I can set services to boot on startup with something like this:

sudo systemctl enable application.service

However, it would be really handy if certain Bash services started when Windows started. (especially for web servers, database engines etc.)

I know the way Windows and Linux does services is quite different but as an example, it would be great if I could start Windows and know that my local MongoDB server is all fired up and ready to go.

Would love to know other peoples thoughts on this and if it's at all feasible?

Thanks, Anthony
    Twitter: @anthonycook

291 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Map WSL process ID to Windows process ID

Currently there appears no clean way to get the corresponding Windows process ID of a running WSL process. I can inspect the PIDs of running processes in Windows taskmanager or with the tasklist command from bash on WSL as in:

oeffner@grove:~$ cmd.exe /c tasklist

But that does not guarantee unambiguous identification PIDs if more processes have the same name.

It would be great if the PID of a WSL process was available as an additional column for Windows TaskManager and the tasklist command.

It would also be great if it were possible under WSL to get the corresponding Windows PID…

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. implement paste using shift insert key combination

on linux I press shift-insert then I paste
    on putty on windows I press shift-insert then I paste
    please make wsl bash do the same
    thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add automount option to exclude files that throw "Permission Denied" caused by "All Deny ReadData"

# Summary
    When listing files in a mounted Documents directory, `ls` will spam `permission denied` errors on files are set to `All Deny ReadData` by the Windows operating system.

To prevent the issue, the simpliest approach is to mask/hide these files from mounting, since Linux should not use them anyway.

# Proposal
    The proposal is to add an automount option to the existing configuration file `/etc/wsl.conf` to enable or disable masking/filtering files if they are defined accesable in the security descriptor.

New automount option: `only_accessible : boolean`
    If enabled only accessible files are included.

```
    # /etc/wsl.conf

[automount]
    enabled =…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Command Prompt / Console / Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)

Feedback and Knowledge Base