Command Prompt / Console / Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)

Greetings from the Windows Command-Line Teams, including the Windows Console and Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) teams!

We’re hear to learn about the features you’d like to see in the Windows Console (the terminal app itself), Cmd and PowerShell shells, and the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) upon which several Linux distros now run!

Note: Please don’t file bugs & issues here: file issues on our GitHub repos instead:

Please DO post your asks, ideas, wants and needs for future features: We ARE listening, and we ARE grateful for your feedback!

Windows Console & WSL Teams.

$ | >

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. symbolic link

Hi. I like the Ubuntu Bash on Windows 10. However, when I try to make a symbolic link to my Documents folder in the c drive, it doesn't work, as in it does not create a link that I can go to. Any reason?

sudo ln -s C:\Users\Erik\Documents Documents

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Move %localappdata%\lxss to %appdata%\lxss so the environment follows a student around a computer lab.

I run student computer labs and I'd like to be able to redirect the lxss folder to a server location so students don't have to always find the same computer or reload the whole environment. Ideally there would be a GPO that allowed redirection of only the lxss folder to a server location, in the same way My Documents can be redirected now.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow to call bash from cmd without quotes on the parameters

Lets say i wanna use ruby or python from windows on ubuntu, many programs allow to pass the route of this ones, right now if you want to do something like
    bash.exe -l -c "ruby"
    the double quotes limits you in this cases because the parameters wasn't expecting that quotes, if we have something like "-C" where every argument after this is considered as a string you could do this pretty easy, right now I'm using this on every where i can, many are open source projects where i can hard code the end quotes, but is kinda sad not…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. bash.exe command line options

It's been pointed out that just invoking "bash.exe" or "bash.exe ~" do not currently (Version 10.0.14393) result in a "login shell". Since that method of invoking bash results in a console window and interactive prompt, I'm thinking most bash users automatically assume it is opening a login shell. (The main difference is the reading of /etc/profile, ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile. It currently only processes the corresponding bashrc files. )

bash.exe -c results in a non-interactive process, so a login shell is not really needed. Also, since bash.exe -c is not interactive, what's the point in having a console open? If…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support PR_SET_PDEATHSIG in the prctl system call

Running OpenEmbedded's bitbake command for the Krogoth 2.1 release fails at running tasks:

File "/home/kai/Target-sg/yocto/poky/bitbake/bin/bitbake-worker", line 429, in <module>
    worker.serve()
    File "/home/kai/Target-sg/yocto/poky/bitbake/bin/bitbake-worker", line 330, in serve
    self.handle_item("runtask", self.handle_runtask)
    File "/home/kai/Target-sg/yocto/poky/bitbake/bin/bitbake-worker", line 346, in handle_item
    func(self.queue[(len(item) + 2):index])
    File "/home/kai/Target-sg/yocto/poky/bitbake/bin/bitbake-worker", line 380, in handle_runtask
    pid, pipein, pipeout = fork_off_task(self.cookercfg, self.data, self.workerdata, fn, task, taskname, appends, taskdepdata, quieterrors)
    File "/home/kai/Target-sg/yocto/poky/bitbake/bin/bitbake-worker", line 232, in fork_off_task
    os._exit(child())
    File "/home/kai/Target-sg/yocto/poky/bitbake/bin/bitbake-worker", line 173, in child
    bb.utils.signal_on_parent_exit("SIGTERM")
    File "/home/kai/Target-sg/yocto/poky/bitbake/lib/bb/utils.py", line 1399, in signal_on_parent_exit
    raise PrCtlError('prctl failed with error code %s' % result)
    prctl failed with error code -1

The actual call is here:
    http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/bitbake/lib/bb/utils.py?h=krogoth#n1397

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Run a script on Bash launch

It would be nice to be able to set scripts to run on launch of Bash on Ubuntu on Windows.

I want to use VcXsrv to be able to launch GUI binaries in WSL, but have to manually run display export on launch. It would be great to be have this run whenever I start Bash.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. AVG blocks outgoing Bash network traffic

I'm currently trying to unblock Bash for Ubuntu for Windows in my AVG firewall, however nothing I do seems to work. I'm assuming this is because of some background magic in the way network traffic is handled. Is there any way for you guys to get in touch with AVG about this? I have to disable my firewall every time I want to pull any kind of file from anywhere.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Attach/detach to Systray

Would love to see the environment start up in the systray and allow you to click to attach a shell to it so that exiting simply detaches and the systray/root process runs on. This could give you the option to run many shells, shutdown/restart/rebuild from menu clicks and most importantlyleave it running in the background and maybe give you basic proc/mem/io usage from the systray mouse over.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. True BASH integration.

True BASH integration. No need for Devolper Mode to be on.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Crontab jobs (.sh scripts)

I was trying to schedule jobs in crontab (.sh script) but it's not working so far. My idea is to improve it because for now it does nothing

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Bash On Ubuntu On Windows must support Extended Attributes

According to https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl/2016/06/15/wsl-file-system-support/, there is already support for some extended attribute and mappings to NTFS ones for some system ones.

It is time to extend this and fully give access to those from the userland. At least, attr_set and attr_get must be implemented.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. PowerShell from Ubuntu 14.01 is exhibiting weird character positioning. Realize this is beta but just wanted to mention it.

Installed Powershell on the Linux Subsystem and getting weird line positioning of the command prompt. Realize this is beta, but just wanted to point out this behavior.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. CTRLF1-F4 For more tty terminals

CTRLF1-F4 For more tty terminals. So, I don't need to open more bash sessions.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ansible

Please provide support for running Ansible on Bash.

Ansible is not supported on Windows as a host control machine and is pretty popular for app deployment and configuration management in conjunction with Vagrant.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Link compilers and libraries with Visual Studio

I would be pretty great if we could use the bash terminal as a package manager and terminal but also have the Visual Studio IDE plugged into that as well. So instead of compiling with clang we could use GCC and such.

It would also be great if there was a default system database where the libraries between the Linux subsystem and Windows were shared so we could call #include <iostream> (C++ obviously) from Visual studio and it would include the libraries installed on the Linux system in the path it searches.

I understand there is some collision here with…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. MPI on WSL

I am working on some c++ and Fortran programming packages that are greatly benefitted from MPI. But MPI, while it runs, appears to run at a lower performance often causing timeout errors. I don't know enough about system architecture but better MPI support and overall performance would be very appreciated

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Rethink your strategy on how the linux/bash integration should work

I'm pleased to see Microsoft making the effort to bring bash to Windows, unfortunately I feel like the approach taken is mostly cosmetic and segregates POSIX applications rather than embracing them. Some comments on the "Run Bash on Ubuntu on Windows" rightly highlight that this is slightly better Ubuntu VM with samba mounts.

Microsoft should *want* to create a new architecture/target/platform that builds to Win32 executables and maintain an apt repository for it. Much the same as how debian builds for BSD as well as Linux: We've all heard GNU/Linux, so why hasn't this effort just been to facilitate GNU/Win32?

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Updating status to fine-feedback so others can share their thoughts too.

During the Creators Update engineering cycle, we added the ability to invoke Windows apps from within a Linux process running on WSL and vice-versa. This means you can run any Windows .exe using, for example, “msbuild.exe” from within Bash, and you can invoke bash commands from within Windows via ‘bash -c fish’.

20. Building tools used in supercomputing: MPICH, PETSc, SLEPc. (Just feedback.)

There are some incredibly powerful computational libraries used in scientific supercomputing community that are very difficult to bring into Windows Visual Studio environment for development, even under cygwin for that matter. I have successfully built and tested latest PETSc 3.7.3 (Portable, Extensible Toolkit for Scientific Computation) and SLEPc 3.7.2 (Scalable Library for Eigenvalue Problem Computations) under WSL Bash. These libraries were build on top of the latest MPICH 3.2 with 5-th generation gnu compilers (c/c++/fortran). It all works like magic! Some of the benchmarking is equally impressive. Bash is one of the most amazing features in the AE Win10, as…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Command Prompt / Console / Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)

Feedback and Knowledge Base