Command Prompt / Console / Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)

Greetings from the Windows Command-Line Teams, including the Windows Console and Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) teams!

We’re hear to learn about the features you’d like to see in the Windows Console (the terminal app itself), Cmd and PowerShell shells, and the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) upon which several Linux distros now run!

Note: Please don’t file bugs & issues here: file issues on our GitHub repos instead:

Please DO post your asks, ideas, wants and needs for future features: We ARE listening, and we ARE grateful for your feedback!

Windows Console & WSL Teams.

$ | >

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Have dev/shm actually use RAM instead of system drive

dev/shm appears to be using disk space as creating objects there decreases available space and IO speed is significantly limited.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make core dump files available in WSL

When a process crashes on WSL it does not generate a core dump, even if the necessary configuration is in place.

This is critical for debugging complex issues during development.

Referencing this issue: https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/1262

105 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Block device support for embedded systems

I would like to be able to build the yocto project for embedded Linux natively which is possible currently. However I am unable to dd to /dev/sda to deploy it to the target because It is an external block device. Do we know if this will ever be supported?

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support ctrl+c signals for windows applications launched from WSL/bash

In short: Make ctrl+c interrupt / kill windows applications launched from WSL.

In long: At the moment windows executables launched from bash / WSL do not terminate when I ctrl+c the process. For example I might launch a compilation step which uses a windows .exe, and then decide to cancel it and modify something first. After ctrl+C the bash terminal thinks the process is stopped and lets me begin typing new commands, but the compilation keeps running and spills output into the terminal. Any file locks etc. will also be held which might block further commands I want to execute.…

82 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Kernel thread creation is not working in WSL

Yesterday I was in my operative system class, and we were studyng about user and kernel thread creation.

The user thread example ran well, using the pthread library in C. But when I ran the kernel thread example, it failed and I couldn't create the thread. For that example we used the macro clone in library sched.h

I'd be good if WSL could support that type of thread creation.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add a Win32 API for escaping/unescaping WSL paths with forbidden characters (e.g. : ? *)

It is possible to create files in WSL that have characters in them that are not supported in windows (:?* etc.) and these are dutifully escaped to valid UNICODE sequences in NTFS. However, what is lacking in Win32 is a function that takes a (possibly) escaped UNICODE path and converts it to the UTF8 sequence that a WSL process sees, and back again. For example, a git repo with files containing characters that are unsupported in Windows (not too uncommon) will only be possible to work with in WSL - Git for Windows will see the WSL paths as deleted,…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Bridge to Windows ssh-agent service

At the moment I'm using putty on Windows together with its pageant tool, and inside WSL I use https://github.com/vuori/weasel-pageant , wich simply implements a bridge from inside WSL to use the pageant running on Windows.

Switching from putty to Win10 builtin ssh and ssh-agent service makes this unavailable. Would be great to be able to reuse the Windows ssh-agent service from inside WSL, so I only have to store my key(s) in one safe place on Windows.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Support for IDEA exposure for the Linux dev tools like git and mvn, make etc

While the WSL is a great tool and is powerfull, there is a realy big gap were having now. I need to redudntly install stuff if I use an IDEA (like intellij or eclipse). To expose git to these tools. I can try to be creative with bat scripts to expose some of the bash native git. But then there is achance to get a "Cannot launch bash because another instance is running un-elevated. Elevated and un-elevated instances are not permitted to run simultaneously." response (and break your bat script).

What I would love to see a way to be…

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Two accounts, one box --

I have administrator and personal accounts on my laptop. I installed ubuntu18.04 on the administrator account. There does not seem to be any way for the personal account to access the administrators ubuntu. (1) is it possible; (2) if not, can it be made so; (3) if it cannot, this would probably be a good idea (multiple account access to a single installation). If you think about it, this is the way "real" linux installations are.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow to set file permissions on NTFS partitions from WSL

Allow commands like chmod to set file permissions on NTFS partitions. Currently WSL supports a limited one way permission mapping from Windows ACL's to POSIX permissions but it needs to be 2-way. Many basic tasks like using ssh keys or working with git repos require being able to set file permissions. It doesn't even matter that much to which exactly windows ACL certain permissions map as long as they are consistent (e.g. setting perms with chmod and then getting them with stat should result in exact same perms).

This is a followup to this closed issue: https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/266908-command-prompt-console-bash-on-ubuntu-on-windo/suggestions/13309479-emulate-posix-compliant-filesystem-permissions

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add posix message queue support in WSL

Add Posix message queue support in WSL (Ubuntu). mq_open function is failing with error "Function not implemented"

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Proper SSO for Bash on Ubuntu on Windows using Keystore/Credential Manager

Please can we have proper SSO for SSH - I mean if I have logged onto windows why can't ssh get keys from the windows keystore / credential manager

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Support kernel namespaces and cgroups (for Docker, headless Chrome, ...)

Kernel namespaces are a Linux feature that enables sandboxing (used in things like headless browsers) and containerization (i.e. Docker).

It would be great if WSL supported those scenarios.

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. DrvFS support for "Shared Folders" in Virtual Machines

DrvFS is unable to access the "shared folders" of a host machine when running inside a VM like VMware.

We often use VMs for testing and shared folders are a great way to move data between the host and different VMs.

For details see https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/1959 and https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/1954

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  WSL/Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Wrap a DLL as a .so

If you provided a wrapper for DLLs to expose them as Linux shared object files, WSL programs could call into them to execute functions that use Windows drivers.

The example I have in mind is that my Python code, running in WSL, could load one of these wrapped DLLs posing as a .so file, and execute code that makes CUDA calls running against the native OS drivers.

See also https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/266908-command-prompt-console-windows-subsystem-for-l/suggestions/16108045-opencl-cuda-gpu-support

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. wslpath: output path in quotes

Please add a feature to the wslpath WSL tool to output the converted path in quotes. This would allow easy piping even if the path contains spaces.

Currently:
    $ wslpath "C:\Path to\My file.txt"
    /mnt/c/Path to/my file.txt

Desired:
    $ wslpath "C:\Path to\My file.txt"
    "/mnt/c/Path to/my file.txt"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make it easy to NTFS-compress the WSL filesystem

Users with SSDs can face space problems when they install packages with debug info. While it is easy to just NTFS-compress the files in Windows proper, WSL files need to be hunted down and compressed, all in an "unsafe" manner. Windows should provide an interface in WSL to transparently compress files with NTFS facilities.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. errors on Kali Linux......

Window 10 is the best os ever and Kali Linux is the best app ever on windows 10.....but there are many errors in Kali Linux wsl Microsoft.....there are many app which are not working.....like airmon-ng....nmap......and many more.....please fix this guys.....

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Command Prompt / Console / Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)

Feedback and Knowledge Base