How can we improve Windows Developer?

Improve WPF performance

I have a high end PC and still WPF is not always fluent. Just compare it with QT 4.6 QML (Declarative UI) it is sooo FAST!

931 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Hades32 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • mrdev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that any developer suggesting WPF tech is committing malpractice.

• Rodolfo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A form with many controls or a datagrid with many columns produces lag.

Most Windows PC in the world have low-end or old hardware. WPF is not viable UI technology with these kind of performance problems.

I agree with hfahdl, Visual Studio 2015 takes forever to load. Even the start menu of Windows 10 has a bit of lag. Microsoft shouldn't use XAML where excellent performance is needed.

• Patrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@hfahdl "What happened to Visual Studio since it was rewritten in WPF? VS2008 Pro takes a second to start on my machine. VS 2015 Community takes 15, and everything is slower."

If you're a serious developer, you should at least have a decent development machine. My Visual Studio 2015 starts up in less than 2 seconds.

It's on a laptop with an SSD, Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM and Windows 10. The whole thing is blazing fast.

WPF does have issues with it but Visual Studio doesn't unless you are running on some seriously old hardware.

• hfahdl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What happened to Visual Studio since it was rewritten in WPF? VS2008 Pro takes a second to start on my machine. VS 2015 Community takes 15, and everything is slower.

• GT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I give up on WPF due to performance back in 2010, use HTML instead, HTML is the most tested platform on earth, billions of people test it daily, it improves in performance here and there every few months, no matter what Microsoft does with WPF (and it needs a lot of work to get it faster) it will never reach the levels of HTML, CSS, and JS/TS

• Cyprien Autexier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I must disagree with RobertWG. Performance improvement would be great even if it only addresses Windows 10+ . Don't fall into the legacy **** again (like it was the case with IE).

• RobertWG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Much as I need better WPF performance, please don't fix it using DirectComposition or some other API that depends on Windows 8+. If it doesn't work on Windows 7, the solution is worse than the problem.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. WPF has some serious memory leaks within the infrastructure which cannot be solved from outside. Please fix them.

2. The layouting process (Measure and Arrange) and the Rendering seems sometimes to be slow. Please invest into improving the performance of WPF.

• Yves Goergen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems template instantiation is inefficient, recreating new instances all the time when browsing items of alternating type. I see Activator.CreateInstance all the time in the stack trace, along with managed/native context switches. Can't the views be cached and reused like they are when only the DataContext changes, but not its type?

Feedback and Knowledge Base