How can we improve Windows Developer?

Implement x:Bind for WPF

Please implement the x:Bind feature from Universal Windows Apps in WPF.

See http://channel9.msdn.com/events/Build/2015/3-635 for a presentation on x:Bind.

623 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brian shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • branko.radosevic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dont like UWP, WPF is much better way i like the file system and local resurce small country and small bussines and family and privacy is imperative to protect.
    Big corporative intrest of few mega rich people who leading big countrys around world and want to control the all world destroy world we know.Only for this people all must be on his cloud regardless of the cost and only he be the one to make money.Microsoft please correct this unjustice.

• Shujaat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a shame that we don't even have a comment from MS on this highly voted feature. They seem to be fed up with WPF much earlier than WinForms.

• Stefan Koell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please don't stop innovation on WPF. UWP is not there yet and still has many limitations (interop, elevation, etc). Also Win10 as a min. requirement is still a showstopper. Innovations like this are badly needed!

• Kelly Elias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WPF needs the x:bind and x:phase enhancements badly. Implementing those would solve so many problems I'm currently dealing with. All these look solid and really should be part of WPF.

• Joe Bussell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This remains a critical need for WPF. Anything that can be done in a UWP program should be available an a WPF program. WPF > UWP for our needs, but we are feeling a bit neglected seeing all the shiny new toys going exclusively out to UWP devs.

• Sven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not compile normal WPF bindings where x:DataType is set?

• Raffaele Rialdi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good idea, but please not x:Bind as it is not MVVM friendly.
    Since WPF allows markup extensions and the use of code generation (Linq Expressions), I would opt for something *better* than x:Bind.
    I mean something that is MVVM-friendly (x:Bind is not) allowing decoupling View from ViewModel (x:Bind requires the binding is done on the code-behind)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this is needed.
    My existing customers are not ready to move from Windows7 any time soon and have no interest in developing apps for the store. They want line of business applications developed in WPF and for these to be fast, memory efficient and stable.

• Jeff Arnett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Either re-invest into WPF or make UWP app model be able to escape out to service/system level access (file system, drivers, registry, etc.).
    With the WinIoT flavor of Windows 10 having an "embedded" flag to allow this will the desktop flavors of Windows 10 follow suit? If so maybe adding the system access and powerful WPF features to UWP is the way to go?

• birbilis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

...when I say "backport" below, they don't need to be compiled at WPF/Silverlight in my opinion, just allow the new syntax and fallback to implementing it internally using the old latebound way for starters, then later consider if will fully implement at compile time

• birbilis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

all such additions to XAML (and especially the "using" at the namespaces that breaks older XAML) should be backported to both WPF and Silverlight. Especially with "using" means that you can't share XAML between WPF/Silverlight and Universal apps, thus you have to maintain separate XAML with no way to implement that support as a compatibility layer yourself

• Jim Fielding commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Along with the other two XAML performance improvements for Universal Windows Apps announced at build2015, x:Phase & x:DeferLoadStrategy.

Feedback and Knowledge Base